MacBook Pro with SSD or install own?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crisito, Aug 12, 2009.

1. crisito macrumors regular

I'm thinking about getting the 13" MacBook Pro with a 128GB SSD which costs £240 (~$500) extra.

What type of SSD do Apple use?

Would I be better installing my own SSD, like one of the Intel ones that I hear everyone talking about on here? Or would the Apple one be good enough?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

You will definitely save some dough if you do the upgrade yourself.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Hands down get it with a HDD stock and grab your own SSD third party and install.
    Then get a $7.00 enclosure from eBay and use as a TM backup disc.

4. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

I'd buy with the stock HHD and wait until SSD prices come down. I'd even cosider waiting until Gen 3 Intels are out.

5. crisito thread starter macrumors regular

6. crisito thread starter macrumors regular

So I'll probably just go for the Apple SSD :confused:

At the minute my other MacBook Pro 13" base model gets very hot and the fans get very noisy when streaming live video over on a webpage. Will the SSD stop this from happening?

7. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

No. The drive won't have any benefit for streaming web content over a standard HDD. Sorry.
    Why are you getting another if you already have one?

8. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I think that the question is: do you feel comfortable enough to check whether the SSD is compatible with your computer and if you are willing to open the computer yourself. It is not a hard procedure, you probably know about the rather large flab on the bottom of the computer.

9. crisito thread starter macrumors regular

I have no problem opening and installing an SSD myself, but I have been looking for a while now and the prices for the Apple SSD and buying a third party one are basically the same.

10. crisito thread starter macrumors regular

I'm giving the one I have to someone else.

I don't know whether or not to go for the SSD. I want it though.

11. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Well, SSD's are just in general expensive right now thats what you get for wanting the latest toys. Also you might be paying the same or a little more for a SSD but don't forget that Apple doesn't use the best SSDs. Fact is it would be better to buy a SSD yourself and then install it yourself. You will either end up with a SSD that cheaper that getting one from Apple or one that is better, or both.

Also hard drive doesn't have to do anything with streaming videos from webpages. Thats all CPU right there. Even if you're watching off your hard drive, your CPU has to process it = heat = fans kicking in.

12. crisito thread starter macrumors regular

I might just not get the SSD then.

I have the base model 13" MBP at the minute and when I watch live streaming off the web it gets really loud and the fan goes at over 6,000rpm. Is this normal? I didn't think live streaming was THAT intensive.

Will the next model up make it better?

13. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

So anyone know what kind of SSD drive :apple: puts on their Books when you get that option?

14. antskip macrumors regular

1) SSD's are not toys. They are the best upgrade you can get for any computer that can take them. Once you have rid yourself of HDD's, you will not want to go back to them.
    There are so many great things about them, the list would be long.
    2) Apple does not use the latest SSD's from Intel, but chose not use their earlier generation due to environmental issues. I would think that Apple might be considering the new generation. For now, the Samsung-driven SSD Apple provides are OK. It still provides the transformational change compared to using a HDD.
    3) If you know what you are doing, then it is best to buy a good SSD from a third party. The latest generation Intel is top of the pile, but there are many other fine SSD's which will not disappoint. Size and price variations need to be assessed, as long as the SSD is recent. If not choosing Intel, you can't go far wrong with any Samsung-driven SSD.

15. crisito thread starter macrumors regular

16. maroulis macrumors member

i was on the same boat as you (although I also have an MBA Rev C / SSD).. I bought an MBP 2.53 with 250GB and bought separately & installed myself the Intel X25-M 160GB SSD which is simply UNREAL... much faster than the toshiba that Apple is using...but a lot more expensive..

17. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Not necessarily. You only get a 270MHz proc. upgrade between the two models which is minimal. Hardly real world noticeable. You may want to try the site at an Apple Store on one of their machines if the content is okay.

Try it on a 13MBP and a 15MBP running the 9600 graphics processor. On the 15" look under energy saver menu to make sure it's on higher graphics performance.

You may also want to try exiting all other applications while viewing sites that crank your fan that high.

As I wrote before, a SSD 100% WILL NOT help your cpu/gpu run cooler viewing certain web content.

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think you'll have heat issues even with SSD's.

19. antskip macrumors regular

20. rme macrumors regular

In the Macbook Pros Toshiba drives at the moment.

21. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Is it good or not ??
    Because I'm using~ I think is awesome!!! I know have many SSD better than that~ but I'm happy with it at the moment

Which brand can last longer ??

22. rme macrumors regular

I have the 128 gig Apple/Toshiba ssd at the moment.
    Performance is really good if you're used to harddrives.
    The only reason I got an Apple ssd is because of issues with the Intel drives and the Seagate 7200.4 in the current mbp.
    I'll put in an Intel right away when they're resolved.
    The Intel drives offer much better value for money, much better performance, and TRIM support is coming.

23. crisito thread starter macrumors regular

The Crucial looks good. I think I'll go for that one.

Would the Crucial be much better than Apple's SSD?

24. rme macrumors regular

Definately faster than the ssd Apple supplies.
    Better than Intel drives? Probably not.