Macbook pro with thunderbolt display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by IlikeMacsSoMuch, Jul 7, 2012.

1. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

Good evening fellow mac user!
    I have a question, I am going to buy a macbook pro 15 inches. I have never used a laptop with an external monitor and I would like to know if you lose anything performance wise? Does it lag more or anything?

And is the thunderbolt display glossy like the iMac? I have an iMac 27 inches and it is truly amazing and all but I don't care much for the glossy display, that's why I won't buy the retina display MBP.

Thanks

2. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

The Thunderbolt Display is the exact same display as your iMac. Literally. I hate to be the bearer of bad news. ;)

As for lag, with a 15" MBP no, there won't be any. Hell, there's not any from the 2012 MacBook Airs either!

3. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I have a 2011 MBA and run it on a display at 1920x1200 with no performance loss in the least. I did some really intense work on it too without a hiccup.

4. IlikeMacsSoMuch thread starter macrumors 6502

Sh...T! Of course it's the same! I forgot! My iMac is the late 2009 model with mini display port and no thunderbolt port, can I use it as a monitor with the latest macbook pro?

Well thanks! I don't care much for the glossy part but that screen is still amazing!
    No bad news at all!:)

5. NMF, Jul 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012

NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

Yep, pre-2011 iMacs can use "target display mode" through the Mini DisplayPort. Thunderbolt laptops can plug in to them no problem. Hell, you can buy a MDP-HDMI adapter and run a friggin' PS3 on it, heh. :)

6. IlikeMacsSoMuch thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks!

Tell me, did you ever use a quad core mac? If so how would you compare (just personal experience, no numbers please!) it with your macbook air?

I do field work and I carry a lot of tools all day, so the 13 inches is really interesting but I really like the performance of my quad core iMac, so i'm not sure yet!:confused:

----------

Thanks man! I'll save 1K then!

7. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

* I meant "pre-2011." 2010 iMacs can do it too. Your 2009 is fine of course.

8. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Not yet, but my rMBP is on the way....I'll let you know!