MacBook Pro with touchscreen for next update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ---, Jan 31, 2010.

1. --- macrumors member

Anyone think the next macbook pro update will have a touchscreen like the ipad?

I think (based on the last macrumors news item that mentioned - "New Macs for 2010 are going to take Apple to the next level") that they will introduce the touchscreen on the macbook pro in 2010, but doubt it will happen before the ipad starts to ship.

I think they will do a macbook pro update within a month, but nothing special will be added. Then, around October, they will announce the touch screen macbook pro.

Am I hoping for too much?

2. bombwithrobots macrumors newbie

I think it would be a bad user experience to make a laptop screen touchscreen. Plus, having dirty paw prints all over your nice MBP screen would drive me nuts. :D

3. phrint macrumors 6502

Yes you are hoping for too much. The speculation and concurrent introduction of the iPad shows that no one has a clue as to what Apple is thinking. I think multi-touch on the MBP track pad is as close as we get for quite a while.

4. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

OMG YES! this thing drive me nuts! I want my matte screen back lol :mad:

5. Nein01 macrumors 6502

Nein01

no.

that's what the ipad is for. of course it's a really lame product as it is right now, but eventually, maybe in a few years when they get it right it will basically be a touchscreen laptop and could potentially even replace macbooks all together whenever mobile technology catches up/gets smaller.

but currently, macbook pros are for users who need power and portability with no gimmicks, and ipads are for rich people with nothing better to spend their money on than a giant iphone with no camera..

6. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Yes; a touch screen would be too small on anything other than a 15" MBP, maybe.

Habitus :apple:

7. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Maybe the touchscreen mode will be activate a iPad simulator.

Kinda how like front row activates a :apple:TV type mode.

8. mattyuk macrumors 6502

mattyuk

A touch screen laptop in my opinion is sacrilege.

9. smithmax13 macrumors member

Why would you want to simulate the iPad on your MBP?

10. bluefox9er macrumors regular

god I really really REALLY hope theres no nonsense like a touch screen on the new macbook pros.

if you want a touch screen get an ipad.

simple.

11. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

There is no way this side of Hell would Stevo allow a tacky touch-screen anywhere near a bad boy. These cheap gimmicks are the preserve of the jokePad.

12. moonster macrumors newbie

Yes, as a touch screen pc or laptop is too much of a strain on the body for extended use. This video might help ya see why: http://vimeo.com/6712657 - it is also just a cool bloody idea they have as well.

13. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Those people need to make a product NOW. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.. except I want x and y axis.. y axis for the same program and x axis for different programs.

e.g. consider having Photoshop (P), Firefox (F), and Word (W) open.

14. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

That's just bad for the iPad. A MBP with a touch screen would pretty much ensure no more than 100,000 iPads are sold! Why would anyone in their right mind buy a $800 touch screen pad when they can get a touchscreen laptop with real OS X and capable hardware for $1200? It would cannibalize the iPad.

15. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

16. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Would be a nice add-on for another thousand though :D

17. King Mook Mook macrumors 6502

It could happen, but I wouldn't count on it. If they were to do it, it would almost certainly be an add on and not standard. But it would be cool to have!

King Mook Mook

18. sscerberus macrumors newbie

as much as I would love to see that happen, I can't believe Apple would be dumb enough to do that. Since most people wanted a tablet that could run OSX - to release the iPad and then a touchscreen macbook pro, who would buy an iPad?

I am currently waiting to upgrade my old Powerbook G4 to a new macbook pro so I am hoping there will be a significant upgrade to the macbook pro line aside from a new i5 processor (which I really hope happens within the next month), but a touchscreen just doesn't seem likely.

19. neondrgns macrumors regular

neondrgns

dell just recently introduced a line of studio laptops with touch screen so definitely a possibility

20. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Hmm you're right about that.

Looks like Dell just cancelled my replacement order for my broken PC (EOL happened on the one they were giving me) and they just ordered a new i7 w/touchscreen for me.

Still, even if the MBP has an i5 and no touchscreen, I will buy it. No way am I keeping a Dell!

21. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

i'm not sure what one can do with a touchscreen macbook pro but I wouldn't mind a pressure sensitive screen you can use with a stylus.

22. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I remember this from back in January, hasn't happened yet. I'd be surprised if we saw an update to the MBP's before 2011, I sure hope I'm wrong.

23. Notes macrumors newbie

Hi,

What about to make it a convertible tablet macbook?

Or at least, a whole new product.