Macbook Pro with Windows XP Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JavierDiaz4, Jan 29, 2009.

1. JavierDiaz4 macrumors member

Quick one fellow Macrumorers,

I'm doing some consulting for a startup company and I need a PC with Win XP Pro. Currently I only have an old Compaq with Home Edition. Instead of going out and buying the upgrade to Pro or even looking at a new laptop pc. I was wondering if I should just sell my laptop along with my Imac and just get a nice Macbook Pro with Parallels and install XP Pro in it?

How has anyone's experience been with XP Pro on a Macbook Pro and what specs should I be adding to the MBP if out of the box at the apple store is not enough.

Regards

2. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I run XP Pro under VMWare Fusion on my MBP SR 2.2 with 4GB of Ram. I have the VMs stored on an external drive to keep my internal drive available for OS X apps, music and movies. I run MS Office, Lotus Notes and Cisco VPN, Cisco's IP Communicator and many other Windows apps. Works great. However, since my nvidia-based GPU failed and Apple replaced my logic board, the fans crank all the way up every time I running XP under VMware (even if I don't do anything other than boot the VM)

It's great.

Cheers,

3. JavierDiaz4 thread starter macrumors member

Ouch, that's easily a 2400 dollar computer. Hmmm. How much did you pay for yours. And is the 4gb really neccesary? I guess.

4. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

Hey :)
    I would follow through with your idea, and well with that money you would probs get a pretty decent spec machine, id say knock the HDD up to 7200 ;)
    And i use bootcamp which i would recommend, but i also run VMware and its great :)
    If your going to running alot of VMs id get 4GB of RAM though :)
    My dads mate has a last gen macbook pro with 4GB of RAM and he works for some big company and runs many versions of XP, and he says its works brilliantly :)
    Id highly recommend it mate, you wont go wrong, especially with these unibodies :p
    Also, if you install a bootcamp partition, you can access it with VMware (not sure about parallels) so you dont always have to run it on a VM or always boot into it, best of both worlds :)
    Id highly recommend doing that! :D
    Best of luck mate

5. JavierDiaz4 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a million, pretty encouranging there. I'll be stopping by the Apple store tonight to see if they have one of these in the back room. Thanks to you and Panzer.;)