Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DW58

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2011
Scotland
OK, cards on the table - I don't like Flash.

I've recently installed an SSD into my 2011 MBP (Intel 520 240Gb) and my HDD is now in an OWC Data Doubler in the Optical Drive bay. Since installing the SSD with OS X 10.8 and formatting my HDD, I haven't installed Flash.

I continue to use Safari as default because it's my favourite browser, however I also have Chrome installed for situations when I need to use Flash-enabled browsing. This works perfectly well, but it's a pain to have to launch a second browser just to view/use Flash-enabled services.

What are member's views on using Flash, are people using the same method as mine to avoid Flash, are there any alternatives?

TIA

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
What are member's views on using Flash

I despise flash and that ridiculous SilverLight crap which Microsoft tout at everyone. I avoid it whenever possible and like you, Chrome is used to view Flash things (however unlikely it is that I stay on the webpage) and for a different GMail account.

Luckily, I don't play any games and rarely come across Flash-based things during my day to day activities.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
Unfortunately, some sites I browse on a routine basis still use Flash, and having to switch between 2 browsers depending on the site I'm going to would drive me crazy. Since, in my experience, Safari can't handle Flash without the plug-in constantly crashing, I use Firefox exclusively and it has no such problems.

Bottom line - with Firefox I don't mind going to sites that use Flash for their functionality, but I do block the ads.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Just install Flash the latest iterations are not such a big issue for OS X, saves on multiple browsers. Flash is just another app and the need for it will still be around for some time. I use AdBlock so Flash is pretty much only called when i want it, not constantly for ad etc. For any other unwanted Flash Click2Flash deals with it...

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
why the hell are you not just using click2flash replacement?

http://hoyois.github.com/safariextensions/clicktoplugin/

Because this negates the benefit of not having Flash at all. If you have Flash installed and use click2flash web sites will still see that you have Flash installed and attempt to serve up a Flash version of the site, which click2flash will block.

If you do not have Flash installed many of these same sites will detect you do not have Flash and serve up a HTML5 version of the site. If you have Flash installed, even with click2flash, this will not happen.

So IMO no Flash and Chrome for the occasional Flash site is a better option. Please note I am only saying this is my opinion not that other options are bad or wrong.

----------

I continue to use Safari as default because it's my favourite browser, however I also have Chrome installed for situations when I need to use Flash-enabled browsing. This works perfectly well, but it's a pain to have to launch a second browser just to view/use Flash-enabled services.

Here is how I handle that issue. Make an Applescript using the below script and run it when you hit a page that requires Flash. This will open the front Safari tab in a new tab in Chrome. If you want you can save the script as an application and run the application from the Dock.

I have this Applescript added as a built in script in the Alfred launcher app, so I can launch the script from a quick keyboard combo.

Code:
tell application "Safari" to set currentURL to URL of current tab of window 1
tell application "Google Chrome"
	activate
	if not (exists window 1) then make new window
	tell window 1
		if URL of active tab is "chrome://newtab/" then
			set URL of active tab to currentURL
		else
			make new tab with properties {URL:currentURL}
		end if
	end tell
end tell

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Just install Flash the latest iterations are not such a big issue for OS X, saves on multiple browsers. Flash is just another app and the need for it will still be around for some time. I use AdBlock so Flash is pretty much only called when i want it, not constantly for ad etc. For any other unwanted Flash Click2Flash deals with it...

Pretty much exactly what did.. I watch YouTube and other things for my work needed flash so I installed the flash player

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.