Macbook Pro without "Pro" marking.

mikeherdes

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Hi, I just bought a MBPu 13.3" at a small computer store. I saved around $500 from the retail price. However, this macbook pro seems to be one of a kind.

The bottom of the screen is not marked with "pro", yet the battery is not removable, and there is a firewire port. The system also lists the computer as a pro model.

Im wondering if anyone has ever seen a macbook like this? Could the screen be from a unibody macbook?

mikeherdes

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP55.00AC.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.47f2
Serial Number (system): W891H7B66D
Hardware UUID: CFCE8A7A-105C-5450-8FE5-A2E4B9348E10
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Holy giant picture....Please replace your tags with [B][img][/B] tags.

I'd say that the screen and bezel was replaced with a MacBook screen and bezel.

mikeherdes

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Is there anyway I can find out if the screen is a macbook or macbook pro screen? I know there is a different in image quality, but it'd hard to tell.

RITZFit

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
In my Corner
looks like the store might have just replaced some of the internals of an early AL macbook (before they started calling them 13" pros)

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
It's a MacBook Pro with a MacBook screen. The problem? The MacBook Pro screen is vastly superior. Well worth $500 more to be honest...

mikem7522

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2010
It's a AL macbook, back when they were called macbooks. Literally nothing changed except for the fact that in a subsequent refresh to the unibody macbooks and macbook pros, they rebranded the 13" al macbook to be apart of the macbook pro family. Ive always chuckled at this since literally nothing changed (except for a bump in cpu speed from the 2.4ghz model to 2.53) It's ironic that you posted this because my sig touches on this point. I just find it annoying how a lot of people started calling them macbook pros just because apple said they were. The 15 and 17 inch macbook pros boast large screens, great speakers, better graphics cards, faster cpus, larger ram capacity, longer lasting batteries, etc which in my opinion is why they are worthy of the macbook "pro" name.

But anyways enough of me ranting bottom line is you have a very capable mac that will last a really long time and to answer your question i guess it could be called a macbook pro since apple rebranded it. Although id feel pretty lucky if I were you as lot of people started referring to those models as "collectors edition macbooks" which is kinda cool

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
It's a AL macbook, back when they were called macbooks. Literally nothing changed except for the fact that in a subsequent refresh to the unibody macbooks and macbook pros, they rebranded the 13" al macbook to be apart of the macbook pro family. Ive always chuckled at this since literally nothing changed (except for a bump in cpu speed from the 2.4ghz model to 2.53) It's ironic that you posted this because my sig touches on this point. I just find it annoying how a lot of people started calling them macbook pros just because apple said they were. The 15 and 17 inch macbook pros boast large screens, great speakers, better graphics cards, faster cpus, larger ram capacity, longer lasting batteries, etc which in my opinion is why they are worthy of the macbook "pro" name.

But anyways enough of me ranting bottom line is you have a very capable mac that will last a really long time and to answer your question i guess it could be called a macbook pro since apple rebranded it. Although id feel pretty lucky if I were you as lot of people started referring to those models as "collectors edition macbooks" which is kinda cool
Seriously dude, read the first post before you respond. You don't seem to understand what is going on here.:rolleyes:

jodr

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2010
Probably just a careless repair job, but could also be a great screen switching scam that allows them to take a MB and a MBP, and sell them both as Pros. I would get the feds involved (except they don't answer my phone calls anymore).

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA

The aluminum MacBook does not have FireWire. The OP's computer does.

Hellishness

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Bay Area, CA

what about the non-removable battery on the pro? my friend's AL MB bottom looks really crappy...not to mention like 2.5 hour battery life..

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
The top screen part is NOT worth $500 especially if the internals are MBP. Check if the SD card slot and other "pro" features work properly. If it is just the screen that is not "pro", then a replacement part costs less than $200. I remember being offered to pay $300 to get my MacBook's logic board replaced. I think a logic board is worth more than the display assembly.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
The top screen part is NOT worth $500 especially if the internals are MBP. Check if the SD card slot and other "pro" features work properly. If it is just the screen that is not "pro", then a replacement part costs less than $200. I remember being offered to pay $300 to get my MacBook's logic board replaced. I think a logic board is worth more than the display assembly.
Actually, I had my uMB top replaced before and it was $599 for the entire top lid. Good thing I had AppleCare cause I would not be a happy camper for paying a $600 part.

My MacBook Air's motherboard replacement was $899... so... Apple really marks up these prices.

silverite

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2010
Do you have applecare?

You could probably go and see if they will replace it for you. You can say that you found that your macbook pro came with a rather large manufactured defect that you were not expecting :p

elpmas

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2009
Where the fresh snow don't go.

Read first please. :/
You just went on a rant...an off topic rant...

kny3twalker

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2009
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz