Macbook Pro woes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thedrudger, Aug 4, 2008.

1. thedrudger macrumors newbie

Just adding my tale of woe to the littany of complaints already out there.

I got my Macbook Pro in December 2007 (v3.1, 15" in the UK). The problems started, in my case, with the keyboard and trackpad freezing last night, after I'd spent a few hours playing games (ie hot graphics card). I rebooted and the problem disappeared, though by this morning it had come back. I rebooted again, and this time OSX refused to load, no matter what I tried.

I took it to the big Apple store in London, and was informed the hard drive was dead, and that the keyboard/trackpad USB connection was somehow broken, although the Genius had no explanation for why they just happened to die at more or less the same time, as he reckoned the motherboard was fine.

Anyone else had/heard of similar problems? It's now in Apple's hands - hope it's sorted quickly. Simply disgraceful that such an expensive machine should die within 9 months of purchase, in my opinion. I might be a little extra annoyed because I'm heading overseas for tomorrow, and I'm having my PhD viva Thursday week, so really wanted to do some study while away. I *guess* I can't blame apple for the timing, but the fact is that it should never have happened at all. Boo!

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I believe they fixed the keyboard freezing with an EFI update… are you sure you installed the update?

3. thedrudger thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep - quite a while ago. Seeing as whatever went wrong corrupted my hard drive, I doubt that the problem is confined to keyboard firmware issues...

Should add, that the keyboard was completely fried. None of the bootup commands would work when turning the laptop on, until we connected an external keyboard. The Genius said it was some kind of USB error...

4. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

It's still under warantee so Apple should fix it.

This is getting ridiculous...

5. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

He stated he purchased it in Dec. of 07, so yes it will still be covered under the 1 year warranty.

And just exactly what is getting ridiculous??? Laptops have problems all the time, the MBP is no exception.

6. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Yes, laptops have problems. But not generally at the rate these have been having. Apple has problems every once in a while, but historically not like this.

7. thedrudger thread starter macrumors newbie

Just an update: my mac still hasn't been repaired, despite an estimate of 7-10 days for repairs, and this being 14 days later. Wish I had some recourse for some form of compensation - I don't see why I should be suffering without a computer for Apple's crappy hardware!

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

My experience is that the 7-10 days estimate, means, in practice, 7 to 10 working days, (in other words, a good fortnight) and that is when the system is both fast and flexible.

Twice, an iPod of mine died, when under warranty, and twice it was replaced without a murmur. However, firstly, the inconvenience is not at all of the same order of magnitude as when one is left without a computer; secondly, on neither occasion, could Apple have been described as speedy, for they were not. Both repairs/replacements took well over the fortnight, the second iPod replacement took a few weeks. I understand your frustration, especially with a Ph.D viva looming. Good luck and cheers.