Macbook Pro won't boot after 10.4.11 update

Discussion in 'macOS' started by skippytpe, Mar 21, 2008.

  1. skippytpe macrumors newbie

    Mar 21, 2008
    Hi all --

    I'm hoping somebody can give me something else to try here, cuz I'm starting to freak out a little. I updated yesterday to 10.4.11, everything has been fine up until this afternoon; my 17-inch Macbook Pro locked up and now won't come back. What I've done so far:

    • Zapped the PRAM
    • Attempted to boot from 10.4 installer to run disk util (it won't let me boot from the CD)
    • Attempted to boot to single user mode (It freezes on the message "jnl:replay_journal: from: 6076928 to: 4204032 (joffset 0xa701000)")

    Anyone got any ideas??? :(

    Thanks so much!

  2. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

    Mar 9, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hi Justin,
    When you say your MB does not boot, at what screen does it stop? Totally blank? Gray screen? Spinning gear?

    Try running Safe Boot, as this forces a Disk Repair. Boot up, and immediately press hold the shift key until you see the spinning gear (if possible). Leave it run for about 10 minutes. Hopefully it will take you to your login screen.

    Finally, when you tried to boot to the disk, was it by pressing C? If so, try doing it a little differently. Put in the CD, boot up, and immediately press and hold the left ALT key. Keep it held until you see two icons on the screen, one with Macintosh HD, the old with the Installation Disk. Double click on the installation disk, and hopefully that will boot to it.
  3. skippytpe thread starter macrumors newbie

    Mar 21, 2008
    Thanks for the ideas!

    It's at the grey screen w/ the apple logo. No spinning gear.

    I forgot to list this under the things I'd tried... It still just stopped at the grey screen w/ logo :(

    I did try the CD with the C key but I hasn't thought about trying to treat it like a different OS.

    After I stopped panicking, I thought to try to throw my Mac into Target Disk mode. This worked and I'm using my wifes MB to back my data off. After that's done, I'm going to run disk util on it and see what it finds. Depending on how that works out, I'll definitely pick up with the safe boot.

    Thanks again!


Share This Page