macbook pro won't boot after upgrade

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rhaynes74, Nov 13, 2010.

1. rhaynes74 macrumors newbie

Hi - this morning my macbook pro attempted to apply the latest os x upgrades as well as the latest itunes upgrade. Something went wrong and I was left with a blue screen for a couple of hours. I rebooted but nothing - just a spinning icon on the gray screen. I attempted to boot into safe mode no luck.

I have some older install discs - 10.5.6 - it is safe to use those to try to resuscitate the system?

RH

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you tried any of these steps?

Btw, what exact update are you referring to, as Mac OS X 10.6.5 just came out, but you talk about having 10.5.6 DVDs, which is strange, as you must have a 10.6 DVD somewhere, otherwise you wouldn't have been able to update to 10.6.5, unless you mean a totally different update.

"How to maximise your MacRumors troubleshooting experience" created by mad jew in 2006

MRoogle is a good tool to search these fora for already existing threads about questions you have. It might be able to answer you quicker than waiting for an answer.

3. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Try booting into Safe Mode by holding down the Shift key while starting up. If it will complete booting into Safe Mode, then you can shut it down and it should start up as normal.

This Apple Doc explains what it is:

:apple: Mac OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode?