MacBook Pro won't boot; AHT Extended test says 'no trouble found'

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fets, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Fets macrumors newbie

Hey all,
    I have a MacBook Pro 13", 2013; almost two months ago, I spilled some liquid on the keyboard. I left it to dry, opened it up and gave it a clean with alcohol. It has been working (although only with a power supply and not on the battery alone) for almost one month. Occasionally the shut down dialogue box will appear and the mbp will do a hard shut down automatically without giving me the opportunity to hit cancel. Yesterday it did the same and now will not boot, either normally or in safe mode. Sometimes it will turn off immediately after chiming and other times it will get to the spinning wheel stage and then turn off. Once this morning, it booted completely. As little as I know about hardware problems (I've done a bit of reading recently, I thought it might be a hard disk/logic board issue). I tried an extended Apple hardware test but it says 'no trouble found'. Has anyone had a similar experience or have any ideas of what the problem(s) might be?
    Thanks a lot!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

AHT only tests some components, its not designed to diagnose any sort of component failure due to water damage. Most likely your logic board is fried and needs to be replaced.

3. Fets thread starter macrumors newbie

It's what I'd assumed. Is there any way to tell if this is definitely the problem before taking it to be repaired (although there doesn't seem to be much point in terms of expense). Or no? Thanks a lot.