Macbook pro wont boot from disk

rascalz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
Im trying to do a clean install of the mac so on a macbook pro early 2011. Currently I am on lion and reinstalling snow leopard the disk is readable from the actual OS.

When I boot up using ‘C’ or pressing ‘Option’ and selecting the disk it will load to the apple logo on the white background and stay like that until I turn it off by holding down the power button.

I don’t have a external HD at the moment to boot form a hard drive so anyone know of any fix for this?

Thanks

rascalz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
Yes it’s the grey CD, but it’s not the one that came with my mac. It’s my little brother’s copy of snow leopard for a 13” – mine is a 15”. That should still boot right?

Yes it does show in Disk Utilities.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Yes it’s the grey CD, but it’s not the one that came with my mac. It’s my little brother’s copy of snow leopard for a 13” – mine is a 15”. That should still boot right?
No, it shouldn't, as those grey DVDs are model specific. They may be workarounds (use a www search engine of your choice), but those Restore DVDs can only be used on the model they came with.

rascalz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
Well that sucks. Ok I guess I need to order a new copy. I thought I could use another one then update for my specific drivers.

I will have to order a new one then.

Thanks man

Nov 28, 2010
located
Well that sucks. Ok I guess I need to order a new copy. I thought I could use another one then update for my specific drivers.

I will have to order a new one then.

Thanks man
Contact Apple and ask for the grey Restore Replacement disks, as the 29 USD Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD will not work too, as it only goes to 10.6.3, and your Mac needs at least 10.6.7, as it came with a special build of 10.6.6.