Macbook pro wont boot from disk

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rascalz, Jan 14, 2012.

1. rascalz macrumors newbie

Im trying to do a clean install of the mac so on a macbook pro early 2011. Currently I am on lion and reinstalling snow leopard the disk is readable from the actual OS.

When I boot up using ‘C’ or pressing ‘Option’ and selecting the disk it will load to the apple logo on the white background and stay like that until I turn it off by holding down the power button.

I don’t have a external HD at the moment to boot form a hard drive so anyone know of any fix for this?

Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

Is that the grey Restore DVD, that came with your Mac?
    And does the DVD show up in System Preferences > Startup Disk?

3. rascalz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it’s the grey CD, but it’s not the one that came with my mac. It’s my little brother’s copy of snow leopard for a 13” – mine is a 15”. That should still boot right?

Yes it does show in Disk Utilities.

4. simsaladimbamba

No, it shouldn't, as those grey DVDs are model specific. They may be workarounds (use a www search engine of your choice), but those Restore DVDs can only be used on the model they came with.

5. rascalz thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that sucks. Ok I guess I need to order a new copy. I thought I could use another one then update for my specific drivers.

I will have to order a new one then.

Thanks man

6. simsaladimbamba

Contact Apple and ask for the grey Restore Replacement disks, as the 29 USD Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD will not work too, as it only goes to 10.6.3, and your Mac needs at least 10.6.7, as it came with a special build of 10.6.6.