Macbook Pro won't boot from Snow Leopard DVD but will from Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by myztikal47, Oct 23, 2009.

1. myztikal47 macrumors regular

Hey guys, I'm trying to install Snow Leopard which I bought over at best buy. I bought a new hard drive for the macbook pro, put it in, I turn on the computer and pop in the Snow Leopard DVD and it seems like it does this cycle where the DVD spins up 3 times and then the computer finally just ejects it. I thought the DVD was bad, luckily I bought 2 retail copies, put the other one in....same problem. I have a copy of Leopard, I put that in, sometimes it will do the same thing, spin up 3 times and eject, but then it finally booted from the DVD and with about 8mins left to install it fails, because even with the Leopard DVD near the end up the install, the computer keeps spinning the the DVD and stops, then the install finally fails. Are there any suggestions you guys may have? I reset the PRAM and SMU but it didn't help. Thanks!

2. vladinecko macrumors member

got the same problem. just bought the newest macbook pro and wanted to do a clean snow leopard install on it. the dvd spins a couple of times and then just freezes on the gray screen with apple's logo.

the dvd boots fine on my other macbook pro (4,1). the new mbp boots fine from the snow leopard install dvd included in the box. but since that's too bloated, i wanted a clean start.

3. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

In what way is the SL DVD included in the box bloated? If swapped the HD with your old MBP and installed 10.6, plus any point updates and put it back into your new MBP you would have exactly the same OS as if you reformatted and just installed the version on the DVD that came with your new MBP plus any point updates.

BTW the Retail will not boot on the newest MBP because it is designed to work with 10.6.3 up and the retail version is 10.6.0

4. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

I think your DVD drive is beginning to fail.

5. iain-nl macrumors newbie

Got a new MacBook Pro with Core i5 yesterday from my boss. I tried to do a fresh install (to get rid of the stuff my former coworker installed) with a Snow Leopard install DVD, but the disc won't boot. It works fine when inserted after it booted and the MBP boots Ubuntu like a charm. But when I try to boot from the Snow Leopard disc the screen stays gray.

So, am I running into the problem you described?

6. vladinecko macrumors member

that would explain it. thanks.

7. marvin92626 macrumors newbie

ya, your dvd drive is failing. I had this same thing happen to my MacBook Pro. I took it to the apple store and the confirmed and replaced my dvd drive. After that the Snow Leopard dvd worked just fine.

8. myztikal47 thread starter macrumors regular

I can't believe people are still replying since this thread is so old. Anyway the problem wasn't the DVD drive, it was the ram. I did some searching online and found out with certain RAM the leopard cd will not boot. I swapped the ram with a different MacBook of mine and it worked perfect. After the install was done I swapped the ram back in and it still runs fine. Its a weird issue b it everything is ok now.

9. Rotary8 macrumors regular

I'm going through the very same problem now. I'm getting new ram tomorrow, as well as ordered a replacement restore dvd from apple at $15. I have a core i7, and started a similar thread yesterday. It's frustrating, I even tried booting 10.6.3 DVD today and still get that grey screen with the icon.