MacBook Pro Won't Boot; I Thinks an HD Fail :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danfog, Jan 28, 2009.

1. danfog macrumors member

When I tried to start up my Mac one morning It wouldn't boot, it simply gave a rhythmic groan (dundun-dun). I've tried a load of disk utilities that I had on a disc (Drive Genius 2) and I think it looks like a bad sector in the System file, of all places. I read another thread in a different forum and he told a guy to hold down command-v while booting to go into verbose to find out what the problem is. I did. In rhythm with the hard drive, the command "Disk 0s2 I/O Error" but I know that it is connected because I ran all of the disk utilities fine. One of the utilities that was, thankfully, on my tools disk (I highly recommend creating one) was Carbon Copy Cloner so I have copied everything to a USB drive which I am running on now. I have also run OS X Disk Utility once I had booted off the USB HD and I tried to repair Macintosh HD but it came up fine (I guess that was from the huge amount of disk utilities I had used!) but when I tried to repair permissions, there was a huge list of things that it repaired.

Please help, you only realize how much you rely on your computer when you can't use it.

2. danfog thread starter macrumors member

I've done some more Googling and it looks like the worst is right :( It's not just a re-install of OS X. Apparently, I've overdone my HD somewhat and it is dying. This leads me to ask my second question; what is the largest capacity a Core 2 Duo MBP (specs in sig) can take?

3. easy-mac macrumors member

Sorry to hear about your hard drive failure. Do you have Apple Care? If so they may replace the drive under warranty. If not I'd either go for a 320GB drive at 7200RPM if you're looking for speed, or this 500GB drive if you're looking for storage capacity, it's only $100 :eek::
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152114

4. danfog thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for informing me about that but I live in the UK so I'll do a bit of shopping around. I'm guessing it's just a normal 2.5" SATA drive. In CarbonCopyCloner, do I just copy the volume "Macintosh HD" or are there other procedures needed?

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The largest drive available right now is the 500GB drives, that is the largest you can get right now for your computer.

6. danfog thread starter macrumors member

After a quick chat to AppleCare, He told me to do an "Archive and Install" off of the Leopard Upgrade disc. And, IT WORKED! I nearly wanted to kiss it! You never realize how reliant you are on something until you don't have it. At least now I can get to work again :) The only thing is that I'm now running 10.5(.0) so there's a LOT of upgrades coming my way :eek:

Thanks to all of you who replied and I still might consider an HD upgrade anyway.