MacBook Pro won't boot - no bootable device?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kyle1320, Aug 28, 2011.

1. kyle1320, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011

kyle1320 macrumors regular

kyle1320

Just tried restarting my 2011 MacBook Pro 13" i5, Apple logo doesn't come up and it goes to a black screen and says no bootable device. I recently partitioned my hard drive for Windows with the Boot Camp utility, but since I was unable to find my install disc, chose quit and install later. Lion continued to run fine. Decided to restart (because it's good to do every now and then) and this happened. I'd prefer not to wipe my hard drive or reinstall OSX, if I could instead boot in Linux or something to solve the problem. I also have a flash drive with Lion on it if that is better. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

EDIT: Fixed it, booted from my lion drive by holding option at startup and selecting it, went to disk utility, selected the partitioned drive, partition tab, selected the windows partition and clicked the minus button. Took less than a second to delete the empty partition and then booted right up. (Put all this in just incase someone else needs it)

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

When you boot up and hear the boot up tone, quickly hold down the "option/ alt" key until you see different bootable devices.

If you are running Lion, you might have OSX and Recovery drive.
    If you did run the partition for windows, it will list as "OSX, Windows, Recovery"

Click the OSX or the far right hard drive and boot it.

3. LoliStrauss macrumors newbie

Thank you!
    Do you have any idea why this happened? :)

4. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

If Windows wasnt properly installed, it just gets a black screen.
    And when you do go through the bootcamp assistant, it automatically sets the windows as main boot instead of osx.
    Just change that from system pref.