MacBook Pro Won't Boot Past Gray Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dave Felix, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

MacBook pro won't book past gray screen. That loading circle will freeze about half way. Recently changed the ram from 4g to 8gb..and last time I remembered the hard drive was indexing. What ever that means. I don't know why but all of a sudden I've ran into a lot a problems and it's making me hate apple.

MacBook pro 6,2 OSX 10.7.2 I believe. I can't access anything else. Im writing from my iPad. I have an appointment at the genius bar tomorrow. :mad::mad::mad:

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Try switching back to your original RAM and boot up.

3. BigMoo macrumors member

If that doesn't work then it could be the logic board. Just a guess.

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

It could be anything really, I just suspect bad ram considering the circumstances.

5. Dave Felix thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

I'm in vacation so I'm not home...where my original ram is..I heard if you change ram it only voids the ram and not the whole system. I doubt it's RAM cause it ran fine the other week...and everybody I know changes their ram

6. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Swapping out RAM does not void your warranty. If you ever plan to take your computer in for repairs it's good practice to present it to Apple with all of the original components in it though. It's also good to have the original stuff for a situation like this where if you wanted to test to make sure that the RAM is specifically giving you problems then you can do that.

7. Dave Felix thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

yeah I agree but im not home.

UPDATE: I took it to the genius bar and they used a different hard drive to boot so..so they believe its my hard drive or the bracket would causes a poor connection to my hard drive. My "free fall sensor" has been tripped 8 billion+ times as well.. So they have my MacBook Pro overnight and will call me tomorrow.. I miss her already (Im using my GF's Acer) :(

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I find it odd that they didn't just replace the HDD on the spot. What you're describing does sound like HD failure to me.

9. Dave Felix thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

Sorry I'm late I've obviously out of a computer. But now they've tied it to my ram. I'll get back home in a few weeks and use my old ram until I purchase ram from crucial.com and let you know. Apple store geniuses are more morons than anything. They thought hard drive then the bracket and now ram? Make up your damn mind. I went to the apple store more than the manger did last week. I'm really pissed off about it. Not cause of my wonderful product but the poor service I have received.

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

That has actually been my experience as well. Unless it's an iOS device that they can just exchange, I prefer to call applecare and deal with them, even if it means I have to be without my computer for an extra couple days.

11. Dave Felix thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

SO FINALLY I went to micro center and got crucial memory for my mac. Running 8GB with correct ram. It seems because I have more ram it wants to use more.. Im already using 3.4 GB

12. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

That's pretty normal, OSX will use as much RAM as is available.

13. Dave Felix thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

good.. thanks for all your advice. :)