Macbook Pro won't boot past white screen. (no apple logo)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by treminaor, Jan 1, 2009.

1. treminaor macrumors member

Here is what happened. I was using my computer, browsing the internet. I had my cell phone sitting on the side of my computer below the keyboard, apparently right over the hard drive. My phone rang, I picked it up, and set it back down once I was finished. Apparently, my gentle set down of the phone was JUST RIGHT (and the planets were aligned) and I damaged the hard drive. The computer froze. I did a hard shutdown. It booted to the white screen, and I heard some icky hard drive clicking. *****. Nothing. Sat for 2 1/2 minutes. Continuous clicking. No booting from DVD. No nothing. Did a PRAM reset. Now I see a flashing folder with a ? mark. I am assuming this means hard drive replacement? If so, Could I just run down to Fry's and grab a new WD 2.5" or something? Looking for clarification.

2. hatehereyes macrumors 6502a

hatehereyes

Might want to try a restore first before going out and buying a new drive.
    It could also be a sign that the drive is going bad

3. treminaor thread starter macrumors member

How? I can't boot from the leopard DVD. I have another mac, but Target Disk does not work because the computer does not respond to holding "T". I have an external disk that I could install leopard to, but holding the option key does not bring up the boot menu. I did find one other person with almost the same problem, and he fixed it by replacing his hard drive. Thanks for the quick response.

4. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Insert the DVD, shutdown (hold the power button for 10 seconds), turn it on and hold down the C key. If it boots to the DVD and you can see the hard drive then you can try to repair or reinstall.

If you can't get it to boot to the DVD or see the hard drive, then the disk has probably failed (nothing to do with cellphone) and needs to be replaced. I had a hard drive fail exactly like this. The only solution is to have Apple replace the hard drive. Or if your machine isn't under warranty you could replace the hard drive yourself.

5. treminaor thread starter macrumors member

I will try that momentarily. To repeat my previous question, could I load my external hard drive with Leopard and have the Mac boot from it? It's an Intel Mac, so it should, right?

How long does the warranty last? I got my Macbook Pro in early 2008. I hate going to Apple. First, you have to make a reservation, then you have to wait in line for your turn a day later. Then you have to listen to some guy tell you that it will cost some ridiculous amount of money to do a simple replacement. Because it is an out of their very limited warranty repair.

And just to clarify; Leopard Install Disk 1 is what I need to boot from, correct?

6. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

hold "alt" at power on.

once in OSX, change startup drive to internal, reboot.

Any external connection even FIREWIRE 800 will be slower than the internal sata drive.

7. treminaor thread starter macrumors member

So, you are saying that Yes, I can? It will just be slower. How would I load Leopard on to it. I have another Mac to work with.

8. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

boot up to the installation CD with the FW drive attached. If you can boot you can probably see the FW drive available for install. If not, check Disk Utility to see if its properly formatted and partitioned. If you can't Target boot with the internal its probably dead. If you cant boot off the disc, its probably your dead internal hard drive interfering with it. absolute worst case scenario its a logic board issue.

Make sure its formatted with GUID found under the partition options (this is imperative for Intel macs), although the apple partition map may just work as well (i've accidentally done it before, it just takes longer for the computer to find a bootable disk).

but AFAIK your internal drive is toast.

edit: a sharp knock on the HD will damage it. Folder with question mark usually indicates bad HD.

9. treminaor thread starter macrumors member

This is my problem. I cannot boot from the DVD. The computer keeps trying to read the hard drive (icky clicking) and will eventually give up. Then it just sits on the while screen. If I do a PRAM reset, It will display the folder icon, but ONLY after I do a PRAM reset. Otherwise, it never displays the folder icon. I have tried having the DVD in the drive, ready, while I do the PRAM reset, but instead of booting from the DVD, or even showing the folder icon, it will sit. I have not tried to put it into Target Disk mode after a PRAM reset, but I doubt that would do much good since my Hard Drive is toast. I know that it was my phone that did the damage, I just don't see how such a simple thing could have shot the drive. I mean it didn't have to be a cell phone. I could have just put my hand there just as gently and done the same thing, I suppose. I have an old Dell laptop that takes more s*** than a pig farm and I never have problems with it.

10. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You have a one year warranty for parts and labor (and I would suggest buy Applecare as this is a sign of your HDD failing). You can make the genius appointment right from home on your computer if you have another computer at home. Just wait arrive at the store about 20 minutes before your appointment. If your HDD is failing they will replace it under warranty, no worries dude, relax.

P.S. I fail to see what your cell phone did to create this problem.

11. treminaor thread starter macrumors member

So If I made an appointment, and went down there, handed them my computer, and said "My hard drive has failed. And my computer is under warranty but I don't have AppleCare. Replace it, please." They would do it, no charge? And what happens to the failed drive? Do you know if they could do it while I was there? Or would it have to wait overnight? And I am pretty sure my cell phone did it (but I am going to just drop this story like it never happened) because I set it down onto the top case right above the hard drive at the opportune moment while my HDD was spinning and broke it somehow. Because right after I set it down, I started hearing the icky clicking noises and my computer froze. Or if I misinterpreted your PS: statement, It was me, not the cell phone, who did it. But I did it unintentionally, using the cell phone.

12. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Yes, make the appointment at home, when you arrive just explain to them that your Mac won't boot. They will check it out. Assuming you have one other previous unibody MBP's they may be able to replace it right away onsite if they have the part in stock.
    Even without Applecare you will still be covered as long as you're still within the 1 year since you bought it. The warranty covers anything and everything outside of physical, accidental or water damage. Yeah, don't bother mentioning the cell phone.

13. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

Probably a bad hard drive. if not something with the mobo.

14. treminaor thread starter macrumors member

Is there any way to use Apple's site to check the purchase date of your Macbook Pro? Because I know that the one year date is coming up fast, and I would like to know how long I can wait.

15. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

16. treminaor thread starter macrumors member

Wow, I thought I bought my computer in January, but it doesn't expire until May 28, 2009. My last question: Last time I went in for help at Apple, It was becuase I had water damage. Not enough to stop my computer from working, but enough to scare the s*** out of me when it happened. The "Genius"told me that my two options were to leave it alone, or pay an upwards of $500 to replace the top case and keyboard, among other things I cannot remember. Will that stop them from replacing my hard drive, or can I just tell them to ignore it and continue replacing the hard drive. Because I don't have $500 to throw at them for it. If this would stop them, I would rather just buy a new hard drive and replace it myself.

17. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

As long as they didn't place notes on your account about the water damage you should be good to go. What I would recommend at this point is don't contribute any info. Just tell them it won't boot and let the genius handle it from there. They may not have any notes about water damage so don't bring up something that might hurt your case especially since it happened in the past. Wow, you certainly got lucky with your extra long warranty. ;)

18. treminaor thread starter macrumors member

Well, I found the receipt and it turns out I did buy it in May, so whatever. I have no idea if the guy took any notes about the water damage. All he did (that I am aware of) is create a fake estimate to tell me how much it would cost to repair it, and take my serial number to check my warranty status. I have no idea if he deleted it after or not. So, if he did not take note of it, what would they do about the water damage when I send it in? Just ignore it? I don't even think it got past the keyboard, and I removed all the keys and cleaned it real nice. The only permanent damage (90% sure, I would have to take the top case off to see) is that 2 out of the 3 keyboard lights no longer function, and their power seems to be re-routed to the center light, which is unusually bright.

19. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

they probably wont keep a record of supposed water damage. As long as that apple link posted above states your computer is covered under Apple Limited Warranty, you're fine.

500 is a freaking rip off. Top case is just over 100 bucks and a keyboard is around 50 (you can find them cheaper). Labor takes ~.5 hours. Keyboard is time consuming to replace, but it's not hard.

you need to remove your broken internal HD if you want to boot from the DVD. It's interfering with the startup process.

20. treminaor thread starter macrumors member

I know it's a ripoff. I told the guy I could buy a new top case and keybaord off the internet and do it myself for a hell of a lot cheaper. Anyway, I suspected that the hard drive was keeping me from doing anything. As soon as I get a hold of a Torx 6 screwdriver, I'll remove that sucker and put in a temp hdd till I have time to swing by the Apple store. And I'll make sure I put the shot drive back in, first.

Thanks for your help, guys. I really appreciate it.

21. treminaor thread starter macrumors member

Update: I removed the hard drive and am now able to boot from DVD. I am installing OSX on my external USB hard drive as I type this.