MacBook Pro Won't Boot - Single Flash

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrShoehorn, Jun 21, 2016.

1. MrShoehorn macrumors member

MrShoehorn

My early 2011, 15" MBP has a difficult time booting if it's been shutdown for awhile or slept for awhile. I say awhile and not a specific time, because generally i'll shut it down come back in a few days, or recently I slept it the next day turned it on. Today I woke it from sleep, left it alone for a while lid up, returned in 1.5 hrs and it wouldn't turn on. So, it appears to be random but almost everytime I shut it down and come back a few days later it has trouble.

Press power button - single light flash.
    Battery has full juice - all lights on battery indicator, none flash.
    Tried with power connected - also tried with battery removed and power connected.
    When it does boot I get the transparent gray screen with the progress bars at the bottom - then boots.
    Reset PRAM and SMC - does nothing.

15" Early 2011 MBP, 2.2GH i7, 16GB, Intel 3000 512MB, 512GB SSD, 10.11 Beta.

It seems to boot if I let it sit in my lap for a while (maybe it warms up?) Last time I tried to wake from sleep I tried to boot a bunch then closed the lid and opened then it power on.

I haven't done any thorough testing with any specific steps.

Any thoughts, i'm scared of the logic board being the issue, I can provide any logs or whatever info is needed.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Have you ever heard of "RadeonGate" …?

I suggest you take the MPB to the nearest brick-n-mortar Apple Store, pronto.
    Hand it to them and ask them to check it.
    You may just get the logic board swapped out FREE of charge.

Don't wait.
    DO THIS NOW!

3. MrShoehorn thread starter macrumors member

MrShoehorn

Good to know, I have discovered today at least in one instance I warmed the laptop up with my iMacs exhaust and it booted right up. Sounds like RadeonGate to you? Guess i'll make an appointment and see what happens.