Macbook Pro won't boot up! Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CBAviator, Aug 26, 2007.

1. CBAviator macrumors 6502

My sister has a Macbook Pro that she bought from the Apple Store in May (new). She calls me tonight to tell me that it won't boot up and would like me to help her. I am hoping to get some ideas here.

She said that she left it on overnight last night. When she woke up this morning, the computer was still on but the screen wouldn't come back on. It was almost like it was stuck in sleep mode or something. After trying to tap the keyboard and mouse to get the screen to come on, she finally did a forced shut down using the power button. Now, she says that the computer won't turn on at all. :eek:

Any ideas are GREATLY appreciated on how to troubleshoot this. Thanks!

2. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

try reseting the smc and pram maybe that will help

3. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

and tell her to press x right after she presses the power button it should force the computer to load into osx and if not then she should load her restore disks and restore permissions

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

it could have overheated. i had this happen once. and when i restarted it didnt do anything. just hold down x like polish said and see what happens. maybe it needs rest??

5. wolverinewizard macrumors newbie

This is probably a stupid question, but is it plugged in? Did the battery drain overnight?

6. CBAviator thread starter macrumors 6502

OK. Tomorrow morning I'll have her reset the smc and pram. I think I can get those directions off the Apple site. In addition, holding down X --- I'll give that a shot. So you hold down "x" AFTER hitting the power button or simultaneously?

Did this work for you when yours overheated after giving it some rest?

Thanks.

7. CBAviator thread starter macrumors 6502

Ehh, not as stupid as some might think haha. Yeah it is plugged in.

8. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

ya you hit x right after you hit the power button and if it did overheat then it must have been sitting in a place that had no ventilation i leave my macbook on he whole night and it doesnt over heat well even if it did let it rest and do what i told you :) hope it works good luck :)

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yea as soon as u turn on the computer hit "X" and hold it..
    when mine overheated i just left it sit. and then it was fine. the power chord was plugged in.