Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cypark622

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
I turn my mbp off before going to bed and when i try to turn it on in the morning it wont turn on(or at least the display). Everything seems to be turning on, but the display wont show. I have to hold down the power button and restart it for the screen to come on. After that, i can boot it up fine. This happens to me every morning whenever i try to turn it on after it has been off for hours.

My question.
how do i fix this so that when i press the power button it turns on every time with no problem?
does anybody have this issue?

Stuff i have done to try and fix this
1. reset pram
2. hold down power button to reset power thingy

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
how long do you wait after pressing the button? Do you hear the DVD-RW drive turn on?

I have had two instances where it took maybe 5-10 seconds until the chime sounded after i pressed the button, then the screen turned on. both from cold starts. I almost restarted it, but it chimed and the screen turned on. It's usually after run Maintenance or something.

cypark622

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
everything turns on and one time i have waited for 5 minutes. Just the display wont turn on. Now i really know for sure that it is because its cold that it doesnt turn on. When i cool it down so that it is cold 95% of the time it wont start up.

what are the possible reasons for this? is there a temperature sensor that detects wether or not the display/system can be turned on?

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
everything turns on and one time i have waited for 5 minutes. Just the display wont turn on. Now i really know for sure that it is because its cold that it doesnt turn on. When i cool it down so that it is cold 95% of the time it wont start up.

what are the possible reasons for this? is there a temperature sensor that detects wether or not the display/system can be turned on?

hm. I say make an appt with a genius. Dont turn it on until you get there. Have him turn it on himself. and then have him wait. Dont let him restart. See what he says.

manosaurus

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2006
It sounds like you have a valid issue but I am wondering why you shut down your computer every night. There is no reason not to let your computer sleep unless you are going to be be away from it for several days. Just a thought.

cypark622

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
i shut my computer off so that i dont wear anything down. And besides booting it up only takes like 20 seconds. osx ftw.

cypark622

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
when i mean cold i dont mean ice cold. I am talking about room temperatureish.

Dynatos

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2006
when i mean cold i dont mean ice cold. I am talking about room temperatureish.

I had a chuckle at this. We know what you meant by "cold booting".

Many people claim that shutting off the computer every evening and turning it on every morning is bad for it. In older hard disks, frequent on/off cycles could cause considerable damage to the drive. Nowadays, drives are much higher quality and can withstand many more off/on cycles that previously - but, turning your machine off every night and on every morning can still cause some degredation.

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
putting your computer to sleep won't wear anything down. the only thing being supplied with power duing sleep is the RAM... everything else is off. by using sleep you're saving your computer from the wear and tear of booting up, which while minimal, is more work for the computer than waking from sleep (and being asleep for many hours)

deadpixels

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
i believe shutting down vs sleep mode are allmost a non issue anymore, quality of hdd has made this a moot point, i think that if a hdd is going to fail , then it'll fail no matter wich way you choose to go for. i personally let my laptops sleep :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.