Macbook Pro won't boot.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cablerun, Sep 20, 2012.

1. cablerun macrumors newbie

My Macbook pro will not boot up. I ran it on battery until it was completely dead. After a re-charge it wont come up. The front light comes on, the disk spools up, but nothing else. no tone, nothing. Tried 2 new bats, full greens, tried 2 known good mag connectors & power plugs. no go. did all the resets, still no go.
    I'm told it needs a new logic board. I cannot afford one. I'm also told this is a common problem with my model.
    I am a fair hand with basic electronics & hand tools. Can someone please tell me what the bad component(s) are on the board?
    Thanks

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

It's unrepairable there are no user serviceable parts on the board. You might be able to find a replacement mainboard on eBay.

3. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

It would be helpful if you could specify exactly which model of MacBook Pro you've got. Since you've said it's got a light on the front, it can't be a MacBook Pro with Retina display.

I'm taking a guess here, but do you have a MacBook Pro with the infamous 8600M GT graphics chip? Is it just showing a black screen when you turn it on?

I had a 2007 MacBook Pro with that GPU in it. It failed three times with a black screen on boot; every time I had to get the logic board replaced, although it was covered by the extended repair program at the time.