MacBook Pro won't boot

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mrnibblearse, Oct 6, 2015.

1. mrnibblearse macrumors newbie

Hi, my Macbook Pro 2010 15" won't boot after I tried to boot from an external drive, now it is looking for that to be the boot drive. I have tried all the usual keyboard tricks, but my keyboard is broken and the external Apple keyboard I usually use for some reason is not being recognised. This being the case I was wondering if there is anyway to reset the boot drive to be the internal hard drive?

2. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

Try to find a working external keyboard, hold down the Option key and select the external drive. Once you're in, go to System Preferences and click on Startup Disk. From there, pick the drive you want to boot your MBP from and do a restart.

3. mrnibblearse thread starter macrumors newbie

I tested the keyboard on another computer and it worked, just to be sure I used a different keyboard and the same thing happened. Is there any way to boot it without the keyboard? I have everything backed up on my time machine, so don't mind a reformat

4. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

Well considering you need a keyboard in order to select the proper boot disk, no.

5. mrnibblearse thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah crap, dunno what to do now then

6. chasemac macrumors 6502a

chasemac

Just a shot in the dark. I had a problem with my Apple usb keyboard back a couple of years ago and used the usb extension cable and somehow the keyboard was recognized. if you have one maybe give that a try.