MacBook Pro won't boot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boynigel, Jun 3, 2018.

1. boynigel, Jun 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2018

boynigel macrumors regular

A few nights ago while using it my screen shifted horizontally, as if the window got left-swiped (like on a phone or tablet) half way across the screen, with a black line down the middle. i lost all functionality at that point so i did a hard shut down.

upon my first attempt to reboot, i got the usual grey screen w/the apple but then the apple disappeared and the computer just froze on a blank gray screen, never making it to the point where i'd select which user. at this point i googled the problem and it was suggested to zap the PRAM. this did the trick, but withing two minutes my screen went dark-gray (almost black, but definitely lit) and blank.

rebooted again and got the blank gray screen again. this time with my fans going 100mph. i shut it down and rebooted again. this time i got lucky and was able to log in. immediately ran disk utility repair disk as well as permissions. tests results said no problems were found. Two minutes later the screen went dark gray/black again, and now it won't get past the light gray screen whenever i try to start up?

unit in question is 2011 15" model (w/dvd drive) with a (roughly) 2 year old SSD that's probably 25% full at best (if that even matters). Not sure if it's related but about two weeks leading up to this my dock (which i use the auto-hide function on) would not pop up upon startup until i clicked on my desk top at least 3 times, otherwise it wouldn't respond when i slid the mouse curse over to it. could bad RAM cause this or do i have a bigger problem? FWIW i also disconnected all peripherals to no avail.

2. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Is this a 2012 retina MacBook Pro, or is it one of the NON-retina models with a DVD drive?

3. tubeexperience macrumors 68040

4. boynigel thread starter macrumors regular

it has a DVD drive so i guess it's a non-retina.
    i just looked it up by serial number and it's actually a 2011
    --- Post Merged, Jun 3, 2018 ---
    it's a 2011 15"

5. tubeexperience macrumors 68040

You got a dGPU failure.

It's common on the 2011 MacBook Pro 15" and 2011 MacBook Pro 17"

6. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

OP:

Your Mac has fallen to "RadeonGate".
    Research that term for the details.

You have only two realistic choices:
    1. It may be possible to completely disable the discrete GPU and run with the integrated graphics only. Things will run slower, but at least it will still run. There are threads on how to do this. It's NOT "an easy procedure".
    2. Start looking for a replacement. Apple won't fix these anymore and any 3rd-party repair isn't worth the money. The computer has for all practical purposes reached the end of its useful life.

Regarding #2 -- I -WOULD NOT- recommend a 2017 MacBook Pro (not ANY of them). They have a problem with the keyboard design that may prove more troublesome than RadeonGate. The keys stop working and the only "fix" is to replace the entire top case of the computer -- very expensive if out of warranty.

Either wait for the 2018 design (even then, there's no promise Apple will fix the keyboard problems), or... you can still buy a 2015 design MacBook Pro 15" BRAND NEW from Apple. This is the only option I would recommend.

7. boynigel thread starter macrumors regular

is this the same thing as the gDPU failure that tubeexperience speaks of up above? out of curiosity what does gDPU stand for?

8. tubeexperience macrumors 68040

He can get a logic board from a 2012 MacBook Pro 15".

It would fit right into his laptop and doesn't have the dGPU issue.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 3, 2018 ---
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...s-report-critical-gpu-failures-system-crashes

9. boynigel thread starter macrumors regular

--- Post Merged, Jun 4, 2018 ---
    Regarding your comment as to what models to avoid, do you or anyone know if any of the current iMacs should be avoided for any reason? I'm considering an iMac because I have a 2007 model that's still going strong... just not strong enough to run current ProTools recording software. I'm done with laptops.