MacBook Pro - won't boot.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ggulliver, Oct 5, 2018.

1. ggulliver macrumors member

I've just been given a 2007/8 model, which, although previously working before being shelved for some (unknown, perhaps lengthy) time won't boot.

On pressing the power button there's a whirr (fan?) and what I think is the 'click' of the optical drive, and a second-or-two later it's all quiet again (without a chime).

It's plugged-in and the battery is charged.
    Same thing when trying to option-boot to external usb.

I've reset SMC.

2. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

3. ggulliver thread starter macrumors member

Thanks.

Nope.

4. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Does the sleep LED ever come on, even briefly?
    To make sure, remove the battery, unplug the magsafe adapter (so no power attached)
    Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds, then release.
    Then, insert the main battery AND connect the magsafe adapter.
    Press and release the power button. IMMEDIATELY press and hold the left Option-Command-P-R.
    You SHOULD hear a boot chime within a few seconds, but continue to hold the same 4 keys, while watching for the sleep LED, or ANY other response, such as a boot chime. You may hear the internal optical drive reset (a faint whirring)
    Keep holding the same 4 keys. That drive reset should happen every few seconds while you hold the keys. You SHOULD also see the screen flash on, usually going bright, until the reset happens again while you continue to hold those 4 keys.
    If NOTHING interesting happens, just continue to hold those keys. Waiting a full minute should be long enough for some kind of reset to be successful.
    Release the keys. Press and hold the power button for about 5 seconds, then release.

Finally, press and release the power button once more, and give it 15 or 20 seconds to do something
    You SHOULD see the sleep LED (in the display latch button) come on without flashing, but steady.
    After a few seconds (on a working system) the screen backlight should come on, and the sleep LED should turn off at that same time.
    If nothing, try removing the internal hard drive, and see if that changes the boot process (what you have now is similar to what might happen when the hard drive has stopped working. Maybe the long storage time on your MBPro has caused the hard drive to fail now)

5. ggulliver thread starter macrumors member

Thanks.
    Much of your suggestion can't be done - because the item never reaches a state for a PRAM reset.
    Sleep light remains off.
    No screen activity.

Although the HD may have failed, I don't see how that would prevent it booking to an external drive.

Although my experience is with iMac rather than MacBook, I suspect the issue is a defective board/circuit... common on these models, and hence power ain't getting to where it should be.

With that being so, I don't have the interest in dis-assembling for further fix.

6. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

A failed hard drive can prevent booting, as your Mac tries (and fails) to test the boot drive during POST, finally timing out and shutting off.
    Opening the case is pretty simple. I would disconnect that internal drive, and see if that makes any difference.
    At least you will make that discovery.
    Same reason to remove the RAM, and the wireless card, as you might find out that it gets a bit further (such as turning the screen on, or it starts beeping because of no RAM installed.

But, you will likely be correct about the logic board. I only suggested the hard drive (and also RAM/Wifi card), as that is a simple test, and you can remove ALL those items in less than 5 minutes. That generation was also before Apple started using the special tri- and penta-lobe screws, so no need for other than standard tools to do that.
    I would also suggest reseating each accessible connector, mostly because of the unknown amount of time that it may have gone without any power on the system, in an attempt to clear out any corrosion that might have accumulated inside the connectors during that time. Also, allows you to do a close inspection of everything that you can reasonably look at.
    Again, all might be useless if you are left with only the logic board as a problem - but you also might see it suddenly power up. (or not :( )

7. ggulliver thread starter macrumors member

@DeltaMac...

Thanks.
    When I've some more time later this week, I'll work-through your suggestions.
    Your help is genuinely appreciated.

8. ggulliver thread starter macrumors member

'The case of the missing hard-drive...'

Seems the tomb raiders got there before me - there's no internal hard-drive.
    All connectors seem ok.
    I forgot to remove the wireless card.
    RAM appears properly seated.

My limited knowledge suggests (?) that even with no internal hd, if all else were ok it'd have done something more than it has.

Oh well.

9. drlunanerd macrumors 68000

drlunanerd

Probably GPU failure. The 2007-2008 Nvidia models are notorious for it.