Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calabi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
Hello Everybody,

Just to let you all know i have called applecare, they want me to take it into a service centre but the centre is quite far away from me, and the guy on the phone didn't check much, so i'm woundering if there is anything i can check before i take the trek!

The problem is i cannot boot the macbook pro into anything, it's a baseline penryn 2.4, 200GB drive 7200rpm, i turn it on i get the white screen and then nothing, no apple logo, no spinning loading icon :( really strange, if i leave it long enough i get a picture of a folder with a question mark in the middle of it.

Steps i have tired:

resetting pram

booting from the mac install disc using C (tries to read the cd then nothing)

starting the mac in safe mode nothing :(

taking the battery out - running from power

using the option key to boot into my boot camp pertition - i get the firmware password login, enter the password then nothing :(

i know this may be a hardware issue but if there is anything i can try i would be really greatful for the advice! i did the update to 10.5.3 about 2 days before this happened, not sure if this has anything to do with it, prob not!

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
Hello Everybody,

Just to let you all know i have called applecare, they want me to take it into a service centre but the centre is quite far away from me, and the guy on the phone didn't check much, so i'm woundering if there is anything i can check before i take the trek!

The problem is i cannot boot the macbook pro into anything, it's a baseline penryn 2.4, 200GB drive 7200rpm, i turn it on i get the white screen and then nothing, no apple logo, no spinning loading icon :( really strange, if i leave it long enough i get a picture of a folder with a question mark in the middle of it.

Steps i have tired:

resetting pram

booting from the mac install disc using C (tries to read the cd then nothing)

starting the mac in safe mode nothing :(

taking the battery out - running from power

using the option key to boot into my boot camp pertition - i get the firmware password login, enter the password then nothing :(

i know this may be a hardware issue but if there is anything i can try i would be really greatful for the advice! i did the update to 10.5.3 about 2 days before this happened, not sure if this has anything to do with it, prob not!

The only thing you left out is an SMC reset, but I don't think that will fix the problem. It definitely sounds like a hardware failure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.