Macbook Pro won't boot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hugstari, Jan 11, 2009.

1. hugstari macrumors newbie

Hello everyone

Earlier this evening i was just browsing the web minding my own business when all the sudden i heard these clicking noises from computer (yeah its the hard-drive most likely) and i got a beach ball and the computer froze. I had to shut it down by holding the power. Since then it won't go past the initial beep and stops on the apple logo screen (theres no spinning thingy below)

I can boot the computer from the disk and both disk utility and System Profiler identify the hdd. I could run verify disk and that come out fine but verify permissions gave me a whole lot of errors. I fixed them and disk utility gave me no errors. So i tried rebooting again but alas it wouldn't get past the apple logo screen. I booted again from my disk and did and erase and install because i just recently did a time machine backup. The operating system installed fine so i tried once a again to reboot but yet again it failed. Now i tried a few things like reseting the PRAM/NVRAM/SCM and booting with safe mode but that didn't work. I tried booting into single user mode and it gave me these errors before restarting:
    Error reading file AppleOnboardAudio.kext
    Error reading file AppleDBDMAAudio.kext
    Error reading file AppleIOI2CAudioCodec.kext

Am i going down a dead end road trying to fix this or is there something i can do? Besides going to my apple store and paying them a whole lot of money i don't have to tell me its the hard drive.

2. MBPDiva macrumors regular

I don't think it will cost you anything for the Apple Genius to tell you your hard drive crashed.

3. hugstari thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah i thought so. Buying a new hdd should fix the issue right? Anyone you guys recommend?