Macbook Pro Won't Boot!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fox11, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Fox11 macrumors member

My computer was running completely fine yesterday, and this morning I went to boot it up and- black screen. I heard the 'dong' sound but nothing happened. I plugged an external monitor and nothing. So, I've tried booting it up now multiple times- sometimes the 'dong' sounds and sometimes it doesn't, the sleep light comes on dim and you can hear the hard drive spinning, but nothing on the screen. I tried to reset the pram (hold down Apple-Alt-P-R after startup. right?) but haven't gotten any registering beeps.

About a month and a half ago I was having major graphical problems (every other pixel was a white vertical line) but this suddenly 'fixed itself' one day and has been great for a few weeks, no issues. The only thing I did differently yesterday was to boot into my Boot Camp XP partition, which I haven't done since the problems started. Could this be a catalyst for the issue? Could it be the Nvidia chip or logic board or (PLEASE!) something else? And what else can I try to fix/figure out the problem? I'd like to exhaust all options before taking it into the Apple store, as my Applecare has run out. Thanks so much for any help!

2. Fox11 thread starter macrumors member

I managed to boot into Target Disk mode (after a 'dong')- so I can copy some files off of the MBP in case of major failure. Also, my specs are: Santa Rosa MBP (Mid-2007), 2.4Ghz Dual Core, 3 GB Ram (upgraded from 2) 500GB HD (upgraded from 200 GB) Nvidia 8600GT M (the one with the known issues).

3. darkus macrumors regular

You might have the nVidia card failure which is a well known problem (I was affected). If so, then you will have to take the computer in for repair. Apple will change out the logic board free of charge (I was a year out of warranty) and everything will be back to normal

good luck