MacBook Pro Won't Charge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hebbis2, Jul 18, 2011.

1. hebbis2 macrumors newbie

I have a 2011 13 inch i5 MacBook Pro purchased at the very end of February. About one month after using it (I treated it very well, taking special care of it to prevent any damage) the power supply would randomly start and stop working. Generally, wiggling the cable would resolve the issue. About one week ago, I decided to bring in the power supply to an Apple Store. A few minutes later, I walked out with a new power supply covered by my warranty. The person who helped me there said it could be either the power supply or the actual port on my computer. He also said to bring in the computer and power supply if it happened again. Today, my computer was charging and I removed the power supply from the outlet and my computer to move to another outlet. When I plugged it in there, it would no longer charge. Two to three hours later, it still hasn't charged at all. Now I have a feeling that it is the port on the computer that isn't working. I'm going to bring it into the Apple Store in about 2 days (because I can't get there earlier) with the power supply and receipt. Assuming that it is the charging port which is not functioning rather than it being the power supply, will they take my computer in to repair it, give me a refurbished computer to replace it, or do something else? Also, will they format my hard drive?

2. hebbis2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Fixed the problem (for now). I figured that when taking apart electronics, it's good to leave them unplugged for a while before disassembling them (to let the capacitors discharge). I unplugged the power supply, left it out for like ten to 15 minutes, and plugged it back in and now it's working fine. Would it still be a good idea to bring it to Apple to prevent the problem from occurring again and to see if they have an explanation for the problem?

3. Jexta macrumors member

As an Apple Service Technician, I can tell you that a faulty Mag-Safe board could cause the problems you have described.

However, one of my colleagues swears by the fact that power spikes (not surges) can cause all types of issues with machines. A power spike comes from unclean/unfiltered power and can be resolved by disconnecting the power and the battery and letting the machine discharge for 5 minutes or so.

If doing this has fixed your problem, then it is likely you just suffered from a power spike. If it happens again, I would get your machine to a service center to see if they can verify the fault and isolate it to a faulty Mag-Safe Board or Adapter.

4. antuni macrumors newbie

this solved my problem, had a 15" mbp early 2011 just suddenly shutdown and wont charge and turn on. I unplugged the battery and after a while plugged it back and it worked.

is there anything i can do to avoid that situation? my mbp is out of warranty already.

5. jackofalltrade1 macrumors newbie

Charger Problems

I only joined this to say that I thought many times that my computer battery had died just to find out it was the charger. I've seen it have the faint green light some people talk about and sometimes it has had the bright green light which will never switch to the amber light and start charging. I know this may be a bit old school, or not the way you want to go about it. But i have had the same charger now since i bought my macbook new in 2009, and i've thought several times well maybe this is when i'm finally going to have to buy a new one. But every time this seems to work. If it is either of the above problems, I have always left the charger plugged into a socket and hit the end of the mag safe plug against a hard surface until the faint green light goes out, or if I continue to get the bright green light that will not switch to amber I do the same thing. I know it sounds dumb, but as I said the only reason I joined was just to give someone an idea if they are out of them. This has never failed for me, and I just had to do it tonight that's why i thought to post on here. Also be aware that you may have to smack it several times for this to work (and I do mean several). But I've always looked at it as, if I break it then it was already broken and needs replaced, but if I get it to work by doing this, well then no replacement necessary. Well hope this helps at least someone out there. Thanks:D

6. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I also have a 2009 MacBook Pro and was using the same charger I got with it until a few months ago. Mine had also been doing the faint green or no light at all and occasionally not charging. Took it to Apple and a really awesome genius replaced it with a new one for free even though my AppleCare is expired. He taught me how to properly wrap the cable so hopefully this one won't have the same issues down the road. I occasionally get something weird when it's been wrapped up for a while.