Macbook Pro won't charge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jeanga, Aug 23, 2013.

1. jeanga macrumors newbie

Hi there,

My macbook pro suddenly stopped being charged by the power adapter. It was working as per normal and suddenly the power adapter was not charging the computer, so no light on it...
    I've tried several adapters, which are working on other machines, but with no luck, so I guess it must be something else...

I've seen a series of threads advising to reset the SMC, which I think I've done, but still the power adapter won't charge the macbook pro.
    I've pressed the shift-ctrl-option-start button before starting the MBP. I've disconnected all units (power adapter and MBP) to leave time for any fuse-type element to reset...
    Obviously I'm out of warranty and the next Apple Store available is a week from today...
    I'm now down to a very low battery and need to use the computer...

Any ideas?

Thanks for your invaluable help

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You didn't mention which MacBook Pro model you have, or how many cycles are on the battery, or what the battery health is. It may be just time for a new battery.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. jeanga thread starter macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro won't charge... But only in my house...

Thanks a lot for your answer,
    I had a journey of discovery about this issue yesterday...

so I managed to get an appointment at the apple Store in then afternoon, but decided to show the MBP to an independent computer shop. When I took it there, thhe MBP worked perfectly, no problem charging...

Then I came home, ready to cancel my Apple Store appointment... Only to find that it still wouldn't work at home... Worse, if I started the MBP whilst the power adapter plugged in, the MBP would crash at startup...

So I went on to my appointment at the Apple Store, where the MBP worked perfectly. They performed a series of hardware tests and found nothing wrong with the machine...

Then I came home and again, it wouldn't work and started behaving weirdly, crashing at startup, the fan starting very loudly before the MBP had a chance to heat up...

So it seemed to be an issue with the electricity at my house... Eventhough my flatmate's MBP and my wife's Macbook Air would work as per normal with the very same power adapter I would have problems with...
    So I decided to shut down the electricity in the house and to start it again.
    And for 15 minutes, it seemed to work, until after 15 minutes for no apparent reason, the MBP crashed and the power adapter stopped working.

I just arrived in my studio, which is in a different location to my house, and again, the MBP works without any problem here...

Has anybody ever seen anything like this?
    This is mind-boggling as the issue only appears in my house...
    Could it be the electricity? Surges? Is there something I could do? Get a surge protected multiplug?

Help please

4. SolutionsEtc macrumors newbie

If it's your power, a surge suppressor won't help. You'd need a power conditioner (pricey). Some UPS units will also regulate power.

Get yourself a volt meter or a cheap "kill a watt" and check your power. I like the kill a watts as it is very easy to check voltage, frequency, and current while your computer is plugged in.

How old is the wiring in your home?