MacBook Pro won't charge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sharpie00, May 21, 2014.

1. Sharpie00 macrumors newbie

Hello guys.

My macbook pro wont charge.
    It is early 2011 model.

It was perfectly fine till few hrs ago and it just stopped charging (no red/green light)

I checked hardware setting and it said my battery is normal and till yesterday my battery was working fine without the charger plugged in. It had at least 8hrs battery life.. So i am assuming my battery is not bad.

This happened a few times before too, it always fixed when i plugged the cord out and back into the outlet once or twice.

This time, i tried that at least a handful of times, i checked for the dirts, i made sure the cord is not curled up anywhere, and i tried on three different outlets.

I tried that turn off - press shift, ctr, opt, power together and let go together ans turn it back onthing someone suggested, which did not seem to do anything.. Unless i did it wrong.

Maybe something is wrong with the charger??
    Any ideas what may be wrong..?
    What else can I try before i take it to the repair or to purchase a new charger???

Any input is appreciated!!

Thank you in advance :)

2. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

It could be a bad charger.

It could be a bad dc in board.

It could have a liquid damaged motherboard.

Who knows, really?

Want to open it up and find out with me?

3. Trvlngnrs macrumors 6502

Trvlngnrs

My charger went out before. The area where it plugs into the computer must have had a broken or loose wire. It would work if I held the wire in a certain upward direction. I replaced it, no more problems.

4. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

^^ Yeah I think he's right. My magsafe went out last year a little after it's 5 year mark. I had the charger sitting on my comforter and didn't notice the amount of heat it was generating. The light went out and checked the power brick and it was extremely hot, and even imprinted some of the coloring from my comforter onto it :eek: Try getting a new charger and make sure you get the old design not the new one (it won't fit).

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yeah, sounds like the charger. That's the quickest and easiest thing to troubleshoot and fix. I'd start with swapping it out with another one.

If you can, take it to an Apple Store and they can plug one of theirs in and see if it works. Then you know if you need to buy a new one or not.