Macbook Pro won't connect to internet after sleep

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tabrown4, Aug 5, 2010.

1. tabrown4 macrumors newbie

I've used the site before but never posted as I've never had any trouble with my macs (all the way back to the bondi imac) but I have a problem and I am hopeful that someone will be able to help. The other day I was working and I set my laptop on the table as I was going to go get something to drink. Unfortunately I did not push it back far enough on the end table and the laptop fell to the floor. I cracked the screen a little (not enough to hinder real use) and the computer rebooted and everything else seemed to be fine (I even ran the hardware tests from the OS discs to be sure). Unfortunately, everything is not fine. Now when I put the computer to sleep and leave it alone for fifteen or more minutes it cannot connect to the internet. I know it finds the network as the bars are fully lit and my iphone finds the network with no problem so I don't think it's the Airport Express Router. I have zapped the PRAM, deleted the com.internet file from the library, reset the Airport express (just in case), deleted all of my old network connections and I don't know what else to do. There is no security on the router right now so I know that is not an issue as well. When I wake the computer it scans for networks and the bars light up but then in the network box under system preferences the ISP has a red light an says Failed and the Internet and Server are both yellow (the top three lights are green). After toggling the airport on and off for about 5 or 10 minutes I can usually get it to connect but sometimes it drops out (which it never did before) and every time I wake it up I am faced with no internet (and it won't play music through my home stereo system as well) and it is very annoying. Anybody got any ideas?

2. tabrown4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it safe to rule out a hardware issue since I am able to get on the internet? I am asking because I am paranoid that I have damaged an antenna or unseated the airport card or something but if either of those were the case would I be able to get on at all? The spot where I cracked the screen is the left corner which is right above the hinge and according to some internet sites that's where the antennas are located. Is this correct? Anyone who has reseated the airport card or had broken antennas feel free to post. I am becoming a little discouraged.