Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ksmith688

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
I just got a macbook pro from work and I cant get it to connect to my wireless (linksys) network. While I was at work it connected through airport fine, but now its telling me it cant connect because it dosent have an IP address. The same thing happened on my Macbook and i just entered everything in Manually (The IP Address, Subnet Mask, Router, and DNS Server) and it worked for the Macbook. I did the same thing for the pro and it still cant connect. Under Network status it says I am connected and I get the green light but it still cant get the start page to show up. Any help somone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Retired
May 16, 2006
Just guessing, but have you checked location? (Apple in the top left -> Location)

That may be it...worth a try...

amc382

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2003
connect with a cable and see if you get anything... it might be the router not being properly connected to the internet

ksmith688

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
i tried to connect to the ethernet and my macbook AND macbook pro wont connect that way. It says it cant get an ip address I could see if I couldnt connect with either but I can connect with the Macbook just not the Macbook pro

ksmith688

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
on the computer or wireless network? There are some securities on the pro but i have administrator privlidges and can access everything so i dont see why it would be an issue. there are no securities on the router.

amc382

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2003
wait: the macbook worked over a wire, but not the MBP?

the first thing you do is take it to another wireless site, to determine if it's your router or your MBP.

let us know..

ksmith688

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
The Macbook connects wirelessly fine after i configured it to connect straight through the router. I tried to do the same with the Macbook Pro but it will not connect. there are no securities or blocks to my knowledge. Neither will connect with a Ethernet because it says it cannot find an IP address.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.