Macbook Pro won't get online

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jimuk, Mar 1, 2012.

1. jimuk, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012

jimuk macrumors newbie

I am at on a trip to offices in Spain, I have with me a very old brick of Dell laptop running Win 7. I also have my 6 month old macbook pro. On the trip down I have connected to the internet in various ways, dongles and wifi points and the Mac has been OK. But now something is wrong.

My problem is getting on line, I have a few wifi access points to choose from, both machines connect to the wifi hotspots, no problem, only with the Dell can I actually get on line.

If both machines are logging in to the same wifi access point; the Dell is online and flying, the macbook just sits there, and eventually returns, web page not available, the website may be down etc

Can anyone help, all my work and emails are on the mac, I would hate to have to work on the windows PC all trip.

Thanks in anticipation

2. iforbes macrumors 6502

You might want to think about giving your post a new title...the one you have now suggests that you are comparing the two and not looking for a wifi issue solution.

Are you close to the hotspots? I have found, at times, that my mac will appear to be connected to the network, but if I am on the fringes it won't actually return a webpage.

3. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Is your location set to Automatic in Network Preferences? Some dongles set up their own locations, with configurations that will only work when using the dongle.

Check for other bad network preferences, like static IPs or DNS servers - everything should (most likely) be dynamically assigned.

4. jimuk thread starter macrumors newbie

Everything looks OK in network admin, but I am a Mac beginner. Just can't work out why when both connected the Dell is Fine and the Mac won't open a page:confused: