MacBook Pro won't go to sleep

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Pauly 6 String, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Pauly 6 String macrumors newbie

I have had a few calls with Apple and have not found a resolution for this problem.

My macBook will not fully sleep. Things shut down, screens blank, USB hub lights go out but the sleep light (SIL) on the front of the MacBook never flashes.

I have a Thunderbolt Dock and an external display and a USB hub but still have the problem even when nothing is plugged into the MacBook.

The USB hub wakes and then goes back to sleep every few minutes and the SIL never flashes. It worked for a day, maybe, after the Apple help person had me reset the SMC.

Any ideas? I don't want to have to power down every night. The MacBook gets warm and the fan runs often.

Thanks

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

It 's the USB hubs! Try unplugging the USB3 hub and try to sleep go see if that is it!

3. Pauly 6 String thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks but I've tried that with no success. I've tried it with nothing plugged in at a ll.

In fact just got back from the Genius Bar and had no peripherals with me and still have same problem. They booted from their hard drive, El Cap, and sleep worked. So it's something in my OS or Apps. They suggested Wiping hard drive, re install Sierra and not restoring from a backup. I asked about checking some sort of system log and he said they did not have training to go deeper in troubleshooting.

Just been through this twice recently when I had a formatting issue with a hard drive and when Apple replaced my Video Card. Not keen on wiping it and reinstalling all my apps again.

Anyone with knowledge on how to see what is keeping it from sleeping?

4. Pauly 6 String thread starter macrumors newbie

Ran this in MacOS log show --style syslog | fgrep "Wake reason"

Lots of 'EHC2' and '?'

Disconnected everything from MacBook and turned off bluetooth and still would not sleep