MacBook Pro won't let me install new software?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by texasmccoy, Jan 26, 2012.

1. texasmccoy macrumors member

texasmccoy

Hello all,
    I have a MacBook Pro running OSX 10.6.8. I am trying to install a new game that I recently purchased. When I insert the disk, nothing happens automatically. So when I go to the finder window and click on the "install" part of the game disk, I get a dialog box that says "This installer requires admin privileges to run" and gives me only one button to click on, which simply says "quit". Well I AM the admin for my mac, I am always logged in as the admin, and no one else uses this computer. I've tried using disk utility to repair permissions, and this still does not allow me to install the game. This is getting really annoying trying to convince the computer that it's ok to install! :mad: Can anyone enlighten me as to what I'm doing wrong or how to fix this problem? I'm starting to feel like a dummy trying to troubleshoot this. :confused:

2. simsaladimbamba

Does it only happen with this game?
    Does it also happen in another, even temporarily created, admin user account?

And what game is it specifically you are trying to install?

3. texasmccoy thread starter macrumors member

texasmccoy

Yes it has only happened with this one game. I've never had this problem with anything else before. So it had crossed my mind that maybe this game isn't compatible even though the package says it is. It's called Nightshift Code, it's just a typical hidden objects sort of game, purchased at Staples.

I don't know how to go about setting up a new or temporary admin account.. :confused: Have only had my mac for a year and a half and am definitely still climbing the learning curve.

4. Skyrim macrumors member

Is that a .pkg installation package? If so, you can try to exact its contents by some software. Then run the game directly.

5. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92