Macbook pro won't load

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jamesa86, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Jamesa86 macrumors newbie

I've tried a few things but i still can't get it to load.
    -So when I try loading my comp it just goes to the blue screen with the apple and the gear spinning. This is as far as I get so I can't load in safe mode.
    -I can open up single user mode and I've done this and have checked the volume and it says it's ok. From the other forms I've read they say to then reboot. I do this and I'm still stuck in the same screen with the apple and spinning gear.
    -I don't have the disk on me so I can't load through that.
    I need some help so does anyone have any ideas of what to do next.

2. nufanec macrumors regular

Only thing you can do is boot from install disks and run Disk Utility.

If everything passes, archive and install. Hopefully will reboot OK. Once up and running, install the latest combo update then software update.

If it fails, try to get everything backed up as soon as possible (either by using target disk mode, or a bootable external hard drive). Try an erase and install, and if that fails get the hard drive replaced.

3. Jamesa86 thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont have the install disk with me is there any thing else I could try other then pray for it

4. james-thescalie macrumors member

sounds like you have your self an expensive paper weight. I had the exact same problem with my macbook. and unfortunately it did involve booting from the install dvd and running disk utility like the last post suggested.
    not got a friend with install disks?

5. percival504 macrumors regular

Check your permissions and also your start-up disk in System Preferences

It sounds like your MB might be looking for a drive that isn't there... just a thought. Also, got to "Get Info" on your boot drive and make sure that there isn't an option to "ignore ownership on this volume" at the bottom. If there is UN-check that box and then repair disk permissions.

Also, if you know how to use Terminal try the steps outlined here:

http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=90894

The thread is about external drives, but the info there could also be helpful to you. Please let me know how it works out.