macbook pro wont pick up wireless unless right by router

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by evilrabbitlove, Jul 27, 2009.

1. evilrabbitlove macrumors newbie

I have a macbook pro and version 10.5.6 of leopard. My household used to have att internet with a router they provided. It worked amazing, i got wireless internet in my room and throughout the house. So out of the blue for no reason my mom gets comcast and we have to get a new router. We end up getting a linksys router and it says that any computer that is ging to be connected to it needs to insert the install disk into it and set it up. Well, the install disk ends up messing up my mac to the point where the airport is off and wont turn on no matter what. It messed up all my network settings. I couldnt connect to the wireless or ethernet. I found a site online that somewhat helped me. I forgot what i did but now i can actually use the wireless. But since the disk messed with my computer settings i cant pick up wireless unless directly next to the router which is set to maximum on distance it reaches. My brother has a pc and it connects to the wireless wherever in the house. Im starting to get really frustrated and am pretty dumb when it comes to anything more complex with my mac so i have no idea what to do. So now when i go into my network it has airport and all that but i cant use ethernet, it wont read that its connected to my laptop. So basically wireless is crap and ethernet is done with. please help

2. evilrabbitlove thread starter macrumors newbie

3. 1ne macrumors regular

Can you anyhow uinstall that linksys setup utility? Look in application or system preferences.

4. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

Surprised you needed an install disk to configure the router. However, the above post is a good idea, then configure it manually.

5. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Why do so many people have problems with LinkSys routers :confused:

This is why I spent the extra and bought the :apple: router. Worth the extra cost...

6. 1ne macrumors regular

In all fairness to vendors, I have never had any problems with any equipments. Apple, Linksys, Dlink, Netgear, Cisco, Cisco enterprise. It all works with the Mac. :D

Installing that setup utility was not necessary but I am sure you know that already. (give me self a slap):eek:

7. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Linksys was absolute crap for a while when cisco first bought them. It was mainly due to the fact they originally didn't have Mac software. That's fine for me, but not for a majority of the people who use wireless routers, and wouldn't have any idea on how to update the firmware, or change the password or anything (linksys is the only router I've seen that would be broken out of the box if it had older firmware on it). I guess that's because most people are lazy and it's too much trouble to read the manual, but hey that's why they have software for it now (which isn't bad, it saves people like me).

I spent too many hours of my life on the phone trying to explain how to update the firmware for a linksys for people who shouldn't have been using a computer in the first place (this isn't any comment towards the OP, I'm just venting about 90 year olds who decide they need a computer, and it should be a Mac, and happen to walk up to me. A Mac might be easier, but you would have trouble with a remote with one giant button on it for your TV, what makes you think a computer will be any easier? Get a Dell and get AOL, you'll be fine with them!! AH!).

But I digress....

8. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

After dealing with many brands which all work (no duds) Linksys has worked by far the best. A few of D-Link's offerings are alright though.

9. evilrabbitlove thread starter macrumors newbie

well the thing is that when i put the disk in to install the router it messed up my mac but didnt finish loading so the program never actually fully installed. i was going to try to put in the disk that came with my mac but cant seem to find it.... ugh.... i dont really want to take it into the mac store because my apple protection plan expired so ill probably have to pay blehhh

10. 1ne macrumors regular

what about a reinstall of the OS X? It's not hard at all.

11. evilrabbitlove thread starter macrumors newbie

o i never thought of that lol ill try that. thanks