MacBook Pro won't play ANYTHING!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by leslieghana, Aug 22, 2007.

1. leslieghana macrumors newbie

I just converted to Mac, so please bear with my newbie-ness. I have been ripping all my CD's to iTunes until yesterday when my Mac decided to not recognize CD's (even previously ripped ones) or even (as a test) DVD's. No icon, a little buzzing, but no recognition at all. What happened? I got a Mac because I hate having computer problems! Does anyone have any ideas of what is wrong or how to fix it?

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

3. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

it dosent mount anything?

well, i guess its time to go visit an apple store, it sounds like the drive died

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

You seem to be very unlucky in receiving faulty hardware...Apple will be good about this. Incase it is not hardware, you can try opening Disk Utility and clicking your HD, then clicking Repair Disk Permissions.

Did this happen after installing an update/haxie/etc.?

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

it might just be a loose wire, if it was working a day ago and now nothing. Go to "about this mac" and see if the drive is recognized.

6. leslieghana thread starter macrumors newbie

They are all purchased CD's and Netflix DVD's.

7. leslieghana thread starter macrumors newbie

ok- I tried to go to utilities and repair disk. But I just tried another DVD and CD with no recognition again. If it is spinning can it still be broken?

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

9. leslieghana thread starter macrumors newbie

10. Saikou macrumors 6502

Saikou

No not a problem! AFAIK, you can check by clicking on the apple in the top left hand part of your screen, clicking on "About This Mac", then from there, click "More Info...". This will bring up your "system profiler" in the dock. From here, you should check "ATA" on the left hand side, I think... It should let you know if you have your DVD drive mounted.

11. leslieghana thread starter macrumors newbie

Is that under ATA? It says this there: MATSHITADVD-R. Sound right?

12. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

thats it

try force restarting the finder. apple > force quit > finder. sometimes that clears up superdrive issues. mine wouldn't mount/write to blank cd's yesterday and a finder restart did the trick.

13. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

try resetting the PRAM

14. RedBarchetta macrumors member

the same thing happened to me and i reset the pram and it worked but i guess the poster above me beat me to the punch:p

15. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

yup, this sounded to me like a pram reset fixable issue, though thats usually what i try first for most things, usually fixes the problems:D

16. leslieghana thread starter macrumors newbie

Wooo HOOOOOOO!!!
    The Apple, option, P, R reset WORKED!
    You all are geniuses. Thanks-- I was beginning to regret my apple purchase
    Thanks for all of your help!

17. CitiXen macrumors member

CitiXen

My MBP won't play DVD'S either! I have checked the system profiler "ATA" but it says "This system does not contain any ATA devices. If you have any ATA devices installed, please check that they are connected and powered on." I have reset the PRAM too, and tried force quit on the Finder. What do I do?

18. tiffanydandrea macrumors newbie

Thank you so much!!!

I have had my iMac for 3 years. I hardly ever play cd's anymore. I usually download music from itunes. Dvd's worked no problem and I went to play a new cd and it wouldn't play. I googled and spoke to tech people and everyone said to replace the cd drive or laser for $100-$200. I've been unemployed for a year and couldn't afford it. I tried one more time googling and I got to this thread. Resetting the PRAM worked!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Thank you so much for your help and taking the time to post your how to fix.
    I could cry right now I'm so happy!!!

19. tjb1 macrumors 68000

It would be under "Serial-ATA" not just "ATA".

20. TELives macrumors newbie

PRAM is the magic bullet

What a relief to discover my month-old Macbook doesn't have a fatal hardware flaw. Thanks!!!

21. katielain555 macrumors newbie

WON'T PLAY CD/DVD STILL after PRAM RESET

Hello there,
    I just got a refurbished MacBook Pro from Apple about a month ago. It played a couple of DVDs and CDs fine, and today it won't play. I reset the pram, checked Serial-ATA, but not sure what to look for? HELP! Thank you.

22. DCR2332 macrumors newbie

Unfortunately

I have a similar issue with my Macbook Pro. It's a refurbished model that I got several years ago (so I think it's no longer under warranty).

When I load a dvd it doesn't spin, but just makes a sort of pusling electronic murmur. I tried resetting the pram, as well as force quitting the finder, but neither worked. Repairing disk permissions didn't help either :/

Any last minute thoughts? Would buying an external drive be the easiest, cheapest way to deal with this?

23. cinbarber562 macrumors newbie

Thank you guys so much = )

This morning I was using my brothers mac to listen to pandora but when i returned it he tried playing a dvd and it wouldnt play .So when he left i looked up online what could the problem and I did all the things you guys said and finally the disc repair did the trick thank you so much you guys when he gets back home hes going to be so happy .. I am so relieved now cause i had promise to pay to fix his macbook since I was the last one using it ..but thank you so much you guys :)