Macbook Pro Wont Play DVD -- It Plays on PSIII

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hrothgar, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Hrothgar macrumors 6502

This isn't really a Mac question. I apologize. Please delete if this is inappropriate. I have a DVD that wont play in my Mac (or VM fusion) or on a PC. It does play in my PS3. Is there an explanation for this or a way to get it to play on the computer? It's not a blu ray.

2. simsaladimbamba

Can you be more specific what actual and exact DVD it is? Does your Mac (what exact model and Mac OS X version) play other DVDs of the same kind?
    Does the DVD show up in Finder?

To find out what Mac OS X version you run, click :apple: > About This Mac:
    [​IMG]
    To find out, what exact Mac model you use, click :apple: > About This Mac > More Info > Hardware Overview:
    [​IMG]
    To see a more elaborate image explaining the above steps, click here.
    To see a more detailed video tutorial showing the above steps, click here (2 MB, 23s, .mp4).​

3. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

4. Hrothgar thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, I didn't think it would matter. It's a 15" Macbook Pro, running 10.7.4., hardware overview: MacBookPro8,2

The DVD is, well, I was hoping you wouldn't ask: "How to Butcher a Deer At Home," sold by Willies Butchery.

5. Just A Box macrumors newbie

a) loving the video title. My first and only deer was an eight point buck. Lots of fun that day

b) I'm sure many people have already thought of asking this after seeing the title, but thought it was too simple to miss:

Is the DVD actually a Blu Ray?

I know it's probably going to be an actual DVD (to my embarrassment), but a Blu-Ray would explain your symptom completely.

6. Hrothgar thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah, I'm pretty sure it's not a blu ray. the company sent me another copy of the dvd. i still can't play it either in mac or vm fusion windows. The company said sometimes they have trouble with customers in Canada. But I'm assuming my computer is not on the canadian system.

When i put the dvd in, it spins a bit and then just pops out.

any ideas? this is weird.

7. Hrothgar thread starter macrumors 6502

Checking in again to see if anyone has any thoughts. On the back of the disc, it is etched with rpp-ca dvdm00221. I put it in my Windows computer and it doesn't recognize the disc at all. I put it in my Mac and it just spins for a while and then stops.

Is it possible that I need special software to play it? The seller said he was only aware of this problem in Canada, but I assume that is a compatibility issue.