Macbook Pro Won't Power On -- Brief Whining Noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ezsobre, Oct 23, 2011.

1. ezsobre, Oct 23, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2011

ezsobre macrumors member

Have a 2008 MBP. Computer was working fine four hours ago. Left it on running a program. Woke up this morning and the screen was off and the harddrive was humming low.

Forced it off and turned back on and i get a brief whine/hum from the harddrive and then nothing. No spinning on of the hard drive. What happens in the harddrive does a low hum and the light on the front left of the computer shines blue, but i get no further.

I tried resetting the SMC per http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1365, and have followed all other steps there. To no avail.

Any help much appreciated.

UPDATE:

To add more background. My battery is fully charged. I boot up, the hardrive blue light turns on, then after 1-2 seconds, it makes a sound i can only describe as a metallic ga-nee. The lights turns off. Then immediately thereafter the lights turns back on, and you can hear the hard drive's low activity hum, but it gets no further. This is the condition i found the computer in this morning.

2. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Smells like hard drive failure - either way sounds bad - bring it to the apple store.

3. ezsobre thread starter macrumors member

If it is the hard drive should i be able to boot into install disc?

UPDATE: Actually that doesn't work either. It never gets that far. Doesn't take in the disc.

4. Alchemyy macrumors newbie

Yes, if it's only the hard drive you should have no problems booting from a disk or an external drive.

5. ezsobre thread starter macrumors member

Well, after reading this, it sounds like the logic board:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2675881?start=0&tstart=0

I have the same symptoms. Black Screen, no startup chime, sleep light is solid, can't input safe start, target mode, boot from disc, etc. from keyboard.

Have reset SMC.

Looks like this a very common issue on 2008 MBPs. Anything else i'm missing?

6. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Either way though it seems more hardware related than software related.