MacBook Pro Won't Power On

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jdrosema, Sep 9, 2015.

1. jdrosema macrumors newbie

I have a Mid 2012 13" MacBook Pro 2.9 Ghz i7, 750GB, and 8GB(?) of RAM. I got it from someone for cheap because it didn't turn on, but not sure if it's fixable. I'll describe some of the symptoms that I see.

The MacBook simply doesn't turn on. No fan, no hard drive, no lights, no chime. When I plug in the charger the charger light is always green. The battery shows three lights on the battery light indicator, and when I plug in the charger, the fourth light starts blinking as if it's charging, but after 3 blinks, all the lights fade. So now I'll go onto what I've tried.

So far, I've tried replacing the DC-In board with a certified board from iFixit. No luck. I bought a new battery online, and same results as with the old battery. To be fair, the battery was not charged, but still, if it was a problem with the battery, I would think that should not matter. I also tried resetting the SMC I think. Though by apple's description, I feel like I have to actually be able to turn on my computer on considering that it's done through a keystroke.

So, let me know it this seems fixable. I feel like this thread is going to end in, "your logic board is broken". But even at that I want to know. Also there's not water damage or drops.

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Recommend you make sure you did the SMC correctly and maybe try it a few times.

Here are the Apple instructions (along with some symptom descriptions):
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Here an excerpt from the linked instructions that I think applies to your Mac:
    "On Mac notebooks with non-removable battery
    Mac notebook computers that have a battery you should not remove include: MacBook Pro (Early 2009) and later, all models of MacBook Air, MacBook (Late 2009), and MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015).
    To reset the SMC:
    1. Shut down the computer.
    2. Plug in the MagSafe or USB-C power adapter to a power source and to your computer.
    3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
    4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
    5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
    On MagSafe power adapters, the LED might change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC."

It still may be hardware and the only way to diagnose the problem may be with hands on from an Apple technician and not via the internet.