Macbook Pro won't power on

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SneakerElph, Apr 9, 2010.

1. SneakerElph macrumors newbie

So I've taken apart my Macbook Pro (Santa Rosa, Summer 2008) in an attempt to fix a broken LCD screen. So I've replaced the LCD, but upon reassembling (I've checked to make sure everything is plugged in, though I suppose it's possible I've missed something.) it won't power on. The power button does nothing.

When plugged into the wall with no battery, the magsafe connector sometimes gives a faint green light, and sometimes a bright green "charging" light (which is odd considering there's no battery in there)

With a battery, all I get is the faint green light.

What could the problem here be? I'm assuming it has to do with some electrical stuff since the power adapter is never giving me the green light, only a faint green light.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Try taking it apart and putting it back together again. It's possible that you failed to properly connect a cable during reassembly. If that doesn't work, you probably damaged something in the process.

3. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

My old Macbook Pro had to be replaced. It didn't switch on. The guy at the :apple: Shop assured me that the faint green light indicated something with the battery. Battery was swapped, and same green light.

Turned out that something was bad with the motherboard, they swapped it out and the new one worked fine.

Is everything connected correctly to your motherboard? Did you damage any circuits?

4. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Good advice, also you may have put the wrong sized screw in and it may be shorting. When i dismantle them, i put the motherboard in put one screw in to hold it, put the top cover on and power it on and make sure it fires up. If it does i keep reassembling. There is nothing worse then reassembling the entire unit and it doesn't work and you have to take it apart again.

5. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

The bright green light doesn't mean charging... orange/yellow means charging. It's possible the battery connector or the magsafe connector are not connected to the logic board correctly, or the contacts could be dirty and/or damaged. When it comes to power problems like yours, those are two of the four parts.. the other two are power adapter and logic board. If the power is no longer flowing through the logic board the way it should, that's a great big uh-oh.

No offense, but you already did reset the SMC right?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964?viewlocale=en_US

6. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Have you seen the trick for firing up the laptop with the keyboard and top case removed? There's a small circuit on the logic board labeled "Power" or something similar... if you complete it the laptop will turn on. Touch both metal squares at once with a metal screwdriver tip for a few seconds to complete the circuit and the laptop will turn on. Screw putting the whole thing together before trying it out... :p