Macbook Pro won't read camera card

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adamjcarey, Aug 24, 2015.

1. adamjcarey macrumors newbie

adamjcarey

Hi all,

I have a macbook pro from early 2011, 13" display, 2.7ghz, 16gb ram, running on Yosemite 10.10.5, and for whatever reason it is not able read the scandisk card on my DLSR camera (the camera is a nikon d600 and memory card is a Scandisk ultra plus 32gb).

I have tried both using the built-in card reader and connecting the mini-usb cord from macbook to camera, and neither method works. Nothing shows up whatsoever, even when I go to disk utility it states nothing is connected. When trying this on other macs, it works normally - the card is readable and iphoto opens instantly. So the problem must be my macbook.

I've spent quite a bit of time going through forums looking for solutions and have tried almost everything under the sun... restarted my mac, updated yosemite, etc... No idea what to do at this point, so I am desperately hoping somebody out there has a solution.

Thanks in advance,

Adam

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Your 2011 13" MBP built in card reader is a SDXC card slot and will not read a SDHC card (your 32Gb Sandisk card). I had the same problem with my late 2011 MBP 15". I ended up getting an external USB card reader capable of reading SDHC cards and it worked great. For some reason direct connecting my camera did not work well either, but I preferred not connecting the camera anyway so the external card reader was a better option.

3. 1madman1 macrumors regular

I've had this issue randomly happen with my Sandisk Extreme 32GB cards, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it sees the card, but doesn't see the card's contents, or sees the contents but doesn't think there is anything actually importable from it. It's currently reading it right now, but for some reason the "delete" and eject option after importing doesn't seem to do anything except instantly eject the card. When I used to have reading issues, it seemed blowing compressed air the the reader solved it, but that doesn't help anymore.

Always seems to work with my external reader, its just much slower.

4. adamjcarey thread starter macrumors newbie

adamjcarey

Thanks for the suggestions, time for me to buy an external reader.

5. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR