MacBook Pro won't read DVDs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by holdmusic, Sep 7, 2011.

1. holdmusic macrumors newbie

My macbook pro (the older kind) won't read DVDs anymore. When I put one in, it either spits it right out, or lets it sit and won't recognize it. My application DVD Player can't recognize the discs. I can't even run one of those laser-lens-cleaning DVDs.

This is a big problem, since I'd like to upgrade my OS soon to work out some of the problems that have been popping up lately. But I can't do that as long as my computer rejects DVDs. (It can read audio CDs just fine.)

What can I do about this?

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Probably need to replace the drive, or get an external drive. Most of the time it's cheaper to get an external drive.

jW

3. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

Well with the fact of upgrading your system, you can always upgrade your system with a USB drive. There's guides out there to do so ;)

If it can read audio disks fine, it should be able to use a CD player cleaner disk. I have one that's just a bunch of audio tracks that cleans the lens with the little bristles... This is the one I have.

Other than that, your other option is to replace the drive, as noted by Mal.

4. Detrius macrumors 68000

Clearly, you have a bad optical drive. You either need to replace the drive or use an external one (which could also mean borrowing one from another machine via Firewire).