Macbook Pro won't read/write DVDs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wallaby, Feb 4, 2008.

1. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

Anyone have this problem? I have a 15" SR 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro, bought 6 months ago...haven't had a problem with it until tonight (the night before a project is due!) where my superdrive won't read or write DVDs. I've tried burnable DVD-Rs (which I need to use) and regular movie DVDs, neither of which read. The disk just spins for a little while, spins down, spins back up for awhile, spins down, and then ejects itself. Audio CDs, however, seem to work fine. So it's not the media, it's the drive. I don't have any CD-Rs on me right now, but I'm betting those would work. I tried restarting once, didn't make any difference. Am I going to have to send this computer to Apple? I'm in college right now and this is my only computer, so it's coming at a bad time...

2. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Definitely sounds like a hardware problem. You could get by using an external dvd burner for now, and then as soon as you have a break from college send it to apple. Just make sure its within this first 12 months, or make sure you have apple care.