Macbook Pro won't recognize HD.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SeanH529, May 28, 2010.

1. SeanH529 macrumors newbie

I hope this is the right place to post this, but I'm running out of places to ask!

I have viewed a number of topics on external HD's that can't be recognized, but can't seem to find an answer to my problem.

I own a WD 500GIG External passport drive, that has worked with my MAC since I purchased it.

All of a sudden yesterday when I plugged it into my macbook (in the same slot I always plug it in) I got the USB port is drawing too much power. I immediately checked forums around the net and people were saying the mother board needs replaced. Well I have a mac mini at work an a second macbook pro at home. I plugged the same HD into all three computers and got the drawing too much power.

One of my macbook pro's has firewire 800 so I tried to connect the drive using that, but now it just doesn't recognize. The lights flash on the drive as if it's mounted properly, but I can't get my computer to recognize the drive.

I've been through disk utility and the drive does not show up there. I have ordered a firewire 800 to 6pin cable to attempt to connect it that way, but other than that I'm out of luck I think.

I can't even get a computer to recognize the drive in order to reformat it.

Has anyone ever had this problem before? If so what steps did you use to resolve it, that is if you were able to.

Much appreciated,

Sean

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If it doesn't work with multiple computers, I'd suspect the drive itself, rather than the motherboard of any one computer. It sounds like the drive is damaged or defective, even though it used to work.