Macbook Pro Won't Recognize OCZ Vector SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zachd1618, Sep 16, 2013.

1. zachd1618 macrumors newbie

So I've read many a thread about people with similar issues, but nothing quite matches. What I want to do is simply replace my spin-disk with a new, faster OCZ SSD. I'll keep this short

Macbook Pro, 10.8.5. Early 2011 i7 2GHz i7. All stock, minus the after market ram upgrade I did years ago.

I bought a new 500Gb OCV Vector. New in box. Works.

I plug it in to an enclosure (simple USB-->SATA conversion) in order to format and copy my boot drive to. OS won't recognize it at all. Disk Utility won't recognize the disk.

I've verified that the disk/enclosure works on my friend's Windows laptop. No issues, the machine finds it right away.

The internet is flooded with people that have gotten this to work with no issues. The hard drive version has been tested with Macs and is shown to be compatible.

Is there anything else I can do to get the drive to be recognized by Disk Utility?

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Have you tried just installing it in the MAC and running Internet Recovery, then formatting the SSD?

Could be an issue with the SSD and 2011 models SATA Controller.

3. zachd1618 thread starter macrumors newbie

Good idea. I will do that this evening and report on the results!

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

While I like OCZ SSDs and while the the Vector is a fast SSD, OCZ has been known for QC issues.

If you have to return it, I highly recommend Samsung 840/Pro or the new Crucial M500.

Check out my sig for some SSD guides and benchmarks.

5. MyMac1976 macrumors 6502

MyMac1976

I've had 12 OCZ drives in the last 4 years and 0 have had to go back. I'm zeroing out a Vertex plus for a fresh install of Arch for my other portable as I type this.

6. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I have 5-6 SSDs from OCZ and 0 had issues as well. But they do get a lot of complaints of QC.

7. zachd1618 thread starter macrumors newbie

Worked!

Good call on the USB controller! I put the drive directly in the MBP and it was recognized immediately. Now I'm up and running (sprinting, more like, this baby is fast!).

As far as QC goes, I've used 12 of these new 512 Gb OCZ Vectors, and am flying 6 on a scientific mission for NASA on a high altitude balloon. They are working perfectly and haven't had a problem with a single one, even through heavy use and a pretty intense thermal environment.

Thanks for the help!

8. JonHob68 macrumors newbie

JonHob68

I know this is an old thread now but I had a Vertex 4 SSD as a second SSD in my 2011 i7 2GHZ MBP. All was fine until the drive had a issue. OCZ swapped it for a Vector 256GB SSD. While trying to partition, it showed Wiping volume data to prevent future accidental probing failed. It's now been exchanged and my replacement says the same.

Any ideas please?

9. jerryk macrumors 68020

A couple of thoughts. One changes the Sata cable. Those things break all the time.

Second, Call OCZ and see what they suggest.

10. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

That's a very odd error message. Do you have anything else with SATA ports you could put the drive in to check its state, or a USB<->SATA adapter or something? I usually use Linux or BSD if I want to look closely at a drive.

11. JonHob68 macrumors newbie

JonHob68

I've got a housing which converts it to USB. I can try it in that?

12. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

Sure. And/or try it with other machines, to see whether they can talk to it. The question is whether you have a bad drive, a bad Mac, or some weird interaction. Like, the OCZ might not like how the Mac wants to talk to it for partitioning, but if you partitioned it with something else it could be fine.

Hmm. No SATA ports handy, but I have an OCZ Vertex 2 I'm not using for anything... Okay, plugged into a USB adapter, I could indeed erase and format it. OS X 10.12.1, Disk Utility version 16.0. Nothing special, ejected volume, selected disk, clicked "erase", picked GUID Partition Map, and it worked.

13. JonHob68 macrumors newbie

JonHob68

14. JonHob68 macrumors newbie

JonHob68

I've put the OCZ 256GB SSD in a USB caddy and its partitioned perfectly. I also have a Hybrid SSD/HD which works fine when installed in my MBP via SATA.

Do you think the OS will have anything to do with it? I'm on Yosemite 10.10.5.

Now I'm totally confused ans very frustrated!!