MacBook Pro won't recognize USB drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sheribrooks39, Aug 6, 2012.

1. sheribrooks39 macrumors newbie

I scanned a document using my Kodak ESP printer and saved it to my USB drive. Now my macbook won't recognize the USB drive even though it has previously. Any tips?

2. gentlefury macrumors 68030

If its usb 3 its because the implementation currently sucks. I'm hoping it gets fixed soon.

3. playsontheleft macrumors regular

4. sheribrooks39 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it appears in Disk Utility but all options for repair are greyed out.

5. playsontheleft macrumors regular

It sounds like it could be in the wrong format for OS X to work with. Are you able to erase it at all?

6. sheribrooks39 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think it will let me erase it but then I would lose a lot of data I don't won't to lose.

7. gentlefury macrumors 68030

same thing happened to me with an SSD in a USB3 enclosure. I can't do anything with it..but it appears in Disk Utility and usually just locks up finder.

8. playsontheleft macrumors regular

If you have access to a Windows machine then you can probably transfer the data onto that. If not then keep hold of it until either you can access a Windows machine or another member on here can help you out with using it on a Mac. Once you've saved your data, you'll need to erase it and give it another format.

But yeah - maybe another member can help you recover that data before you erase it.

9. sheribrooks39 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. I will try and save it to a Windows machine.

10. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Again, it is probably the problem with the OS implementation. If you have windows installed in boot camp on your current computer it will probably work. My SSD works flawlessly in boot camp, but not under mac. So it's not the drive, and its not the port. Its the software.