Macbook Pro wont run Audio CD's. Urgent assistance

MatLane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
England, United Kingdom
but will read dvds, blank disks....it will also burn media

i don't understand and its getting very irritating! all it does is spin, stop, spin and then stop again before finally ejecting

Hope sombody can help!

Thanks
M

Macbook Pro 15inch 2.4ghz, 4gbram, late 08 (first in line unibody)

Last edited:

Xcallibur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Manchester
Have you tried using different audio cd's, maybe its a defective disk that is causing the constant read/track issues.

Xcallibur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Manchester
Tried loads of audio disks, new old, nothing will run

unless its a DVD or data disk

it will burn CDS but wont burn data disk? it's ridiculous
Maybe its a software issue then, as if it actually works with disks, that shows the laser is functional, is there any way you could reinstall the firmware/driver for the disk drive?

Murgatroyd314

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2012
unless its a DVD or data disk
Does it work with data CDs, or only data DVDs?

I'd suggest taking it to an Apple store (if there's one within a reasonable distance) to get it checked out. I had a similar problem (mine started out not reading DVD-R's with the same symptoms you describe, then progressed to not reading any optical discs), and they replaced it under AppleCare.

MatLane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
England, United Kingdom
Does it work with data CDs, or only data DVDs?

I'd suggest taking it to an Apple store (if there's one within a reasonable distance) to get it checked out. I had a similar problem (mine started out not reading DVD-R's with the same symptoms you describe, then progressed to not reading any optical discs), and they replaced it under AppleCare.
Thanks for that, yeah there is a reseller (KRCS) in my city and a main store 20 mile away. Going to try both and see what they say.

MatLane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
England, United Kingdom
*UPDATE* on currently progress
i have tried everything i know of in fixing it

I have even cleaned it and still no luck....yet the other day i inserted a disk on for a laugh and it worked! buy they has gone back to not working again.

Data disks work, dvd disks work but it now WILL NOT burn DVD's or burn ISO or run files on disk via DU or any other burning program.

Getting p'sd off now

Apple store i go

windowstomac

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
Are you running a VM in Parallels or VM Ware? When I put a DVD in my Windows VM "steals it" before OS X sees that it's there.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
I'm still trying to find out where the "Urgent" comes from in the thread title.