MacBook Pro won't shut down unless I hold power button

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by franniee, Jun 17, 2009.

1. franniee macrumors newbie

franniee

Hi All,

My 15" early 2008 MacBook Pro won't shut down unless I hold the power button. I have done extensive searches and have done the following and the problem still persists......

I have pulled the battery to reset the SMC or whatever it is called....

I ran disk utilities and repaired the permissions.

I deleted unnecessary files in the preferences folder...... still no go..... in fact it won't load software updates because it gets hung up.... then I have to force quit it by holding the power button..... I am at a loss..... :confused:

Thanks!
    Fran

2. franniee thread starter macrumors newbie

franniee

I even made sure no other programs were running when I went to shut down....still no go.....

I hope someone can help me I don't want to buy a new logic board or something. :eek:

THANK YOU!!

3. franniee thread starter macrumors newbie

franniee

I was hoping someone had an answer for me. Truly hoping it is an easy fix.

I've been a Mac user since '92 and I usually can figure problems out.... or at least I could before OS X. :D

4. evsmotors macrumors member

You are not the only one! It is driving me nuts too. I own two MBPs and they both do this crap. Anyone know why? I switched to Mac thinking I would have less issues.

5. isaaclimdc macrumors 6502

isaaclimdc

Maybe it's a software problem. Reinstall OS X or boot off your Leopard DVD and try to shut down without using the power button?

Or maybe it's faulty software since both of you seem to experience the same thing...

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Do you have anything connected, such as an external drive?

7. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

I had this problem a while ago and I have the same generation MBP as you do. I couldn't find a solution so I ended up restoring mine (Time Machine) to an earlier date when I didn't have the problem. I'm also interested in how to fix this, hope you find your answer.

8. franniee thread starter macrumors newbie

franniee

I took it to the apple store and they did a restore - it is fine now.

9. evsmotors macrumors member

What happened to all your information on the laptop? Is it all wiped out?

I just can't imagine that this is happening to both my MBPs, they are both 2009 models. I do not have anything connected to them. I highly doubt a time machine restore will fix the problem as this problem was part of the laptop on almost day one. I'll just pray when we get Snow Leopard it will be fixed.

This problem seems all so common though with Macs? It has to be something they aren't telling us.

10. franniee thread starter macrumors newbie

franniee

No nothing was lost. They reinstalled the OS and they performed the updates necessary - I couldn't get the updates installed because the comp wouldn't restart on it's own.

I think what happened was it tried to do an update and I stopped it in the middle of it and damaged some software/firmware map..... then it wouldn't shutdown properly - but it has been fine since.......

A couple of my programs are requesting their licenses and that is a pain but other than that I am cool!