MacBook Pro won't shutdown completely

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by badcrc32, Jun 15, 2009.

1. badcrc32 macrumors regular

All-

Have been the owner of a macbook from June/July 2008 17inch bought new from apple store.

I ran update like 2 weeks ago, it hung I powered off. Had to, it was going nowhere, when this happened every shutdown after this does not fully complete. Basically its starts to shutdown backscreen goes grey and then there is the dial thing that spin over and over. I left for a few hours no go. The only way to shutdown is holding the button. No other issues but this, it happens if I am logged in or wife under her account.

I went to applications fix permissions, fix disk. Some permissions were fixed however didnt resolve it. When I did fix disk it said it is ok.

I ran the updates friday and was unsuccessful. It downloads install but gets stuck initializing SMC never completes even with core. Any suggestions? I really dont want to reinstall everything. It takes forever and nothing is wrong here. Well other than the shutdown issue.

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

3. badcrc32 thread starter macrumors regular

yeap it was deleted

I realized this copied it there and it was deleted for being a duplicate post. Bare with me I never post. Sry.

4. badcrc32 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok

Im guessing since I bought in summer of 2008, then I should use first procedure here:

MacBook, MacBook Pro except MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2009)
    If the computer is on, turn it off.
    Disconnect the AC adapter and remove the computer's battery.
    Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds and then release the button.
    Reconnect the battery and AC Adapter.
    Press the power button to restart the computer
    Note: Starting with MacBook Pro (Late 2008) and MacBook (Late 2008) models, you may instead use the reset method for MacBook Air (below) to reset the SMC. All earlier models of MacBook and MacBook Pro must use the method described above, which involves removing the battery.

MacBook Air (Original), MacBook Air (Late 2008) and MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2009)
    If the computer is on, turn it off by choosing Shutdown from the Apple () menu.
    Connect the power adapter to a working power source.
    On the built-in keyboard, press (left) Shift-Control-Option along with the power button once.
    Wait 5 seconds and press the power button to start the computer.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The first one is the one you want (battery removal).

6. badcrc32 thread starter macrumors regular

ok now new issue

Now after all of this battery has an x through it still cant shutdown, when i go to apply macosxupdcombo10.5.7pkg it is hung configuring installation....Any ideas

7. badcrc32 thread starter macrumors regular